eager to bring home the rest of my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my water today (5 days after bringing home my 3 platies and 2 guppies) and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, pH 7.4.

I figure that it should be safe to bring home my otocinclus, 3 glowlight tetras and my cory (still trying to exchange him into 3 pygmy) on Saturday.

What is your take on that?

There has been numerous debates on this and I think it's sound advice. Waiting two/three weeks after your cycle and ensuring that your tank is established is not a bad idea.

I went through a similar situation not too long ago and did exactly that. Since I had no problems with any fish deaths since then, I have to agree. The other side of the coin is, since I don't know if every would have worked out without waiting, it's hard to judge.

If I learned one thing about this hobby, it is patience. I almost tore my hair out after my cycle because I only had the 4 tetras. These were the survivors of what I termed the "cycle from HE dbl hockey sticks".

So, your suggestion would be to wait another week before bringing home the rest of the gang?

that is what i would do. because it depends on what you cycled your tank with or rather how you cycled your tank. (if you gave it a huge bio-load to work with, then it had to make a huge amount of bacteria to take care of it, and if you used onle a light bio load for it then it didn't have to make as much bacteria and it would not be as cultured thus your system not being able to handle a sudden high bio load.) however that does not work into infinity.

Back
Top Bottom