Eating bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horticulturis0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is going to sound strange, but I've a sail fun Molly that will randomly attempt to eat the bubbles my filter gives off...I was curious if I should be concerned at all?
His appetitive is good, he's moving around readily and active...it's just whenever he's near the outflow he'll stop and try to eat a few bubbles and continue on.
My best guess is he believes the bubbles are flakes...I just wanted to make sure he wasn't causing himself (and me) a headache down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most likely what you said, just seeing something floating and going at it in the off chance it's food. Could be a sign that there isn't enough oxygen in your water though. Just make sure there's adequate surface agitation and you're good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Most likely what you said, just seeing something floating and going at it in the off chance it's food. Could be a sign that there isn't enough oxygen in your water though. Just make sure there's adequate surface agitation and you're good.

Its just a target to eat.

If it was an oxygen problem they would be gasping at the surface for the water that's most saturated with oxygen rather than eating occasional bubbles.

Thanks for reaffirming my initial instinct. It's my first time with a Molly, so I just wanted to make sure he was all right. My daughter named him Mohawk because of his dorsal fin...seems apt I think

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mohawk, lol! Mollies are PIGS, so yeah, he's probably just biting the bubbles in hopes that it's a piece of food. My balloon mollies do some strange stuff. They are real characters. I think mollies are really entertaining. For some reason, I have far better luck with the balloon mollies than the "regular" ones! They are also more personable and friendly, and never bother my other fish.

Haha he just thinks it's food. It is the same with my gourami.

Back
Top Bottom