Eating too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my zebras love food ... no jokes ... they eat about anything that comes near them. So i know that there is such a thing as overfeeding but that is like feeding to much to where the excess food falls into the substrate ..... but is there such a thing as zebras eating too much ... cause since i have got them ... they have grown quite a bit in length (maybe 1/4" ... a lot for a 2" fish) and their stomachs have gotten real big.
TIA

Ray

Any fish can be overfed quite easily. I've been thinking of ways to get my zebras to eat less. They zoom around and pick up all the bloodworms I drop in the tank and my slow badis don't get enough food.

so is it a bad thing or what? shoud i stop feeding them for a few days or what?
TIA

Ray

Yes, it is bad to overfeed. The extra fat and whatnot can cause internal problems.

I agree, overfeeding can cause internal problems. Bloat can be caused by overfeeding, for example. Feed lesser quantities at a time and their stomachs should shrink.

Not only will it cause possible internal injuries, but swimming problems as well. And a lot of times it's unrecoverable. Should only feed what they will eat in 2-3 minutes.

I do only feed what they can eat in 2-3 mins but i try to get a little stuff down to my cories ... but in 2-3 mins these guys can eat a ton of food.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom