Ebay Auction...How much is this set-up worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Salties!

After being active on and off on the FW side of the board, I come to you with a question :)

I found the auction below on Ebay Canada. Although I'm aware that it's not going to go for the $1.00 price that's listed, I was just curious as to what you folks thought everything was worth. I can't find the reserve price anywhere, so I was hoping for a ballpark number.

The auction is only a 1-day listing, so I'm thinking on it...but I have to move fast.

(By the way, don't worry about Canadian vs. American currency...I'll just convert whatever numbers I get if I need to).

So...yeah... :D How much would you pay for this set-up?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4333106078&rd=1

TIA!

I would not pay more than $100 American, possibly not even that.

On eBay, the pricing is generally a dollar (american) per gallon for freshwater, up to two on saltwater. Anything above that usually doesn't get sold, and if it does, it wasn't sold to me because it can be easily purchased there cheaper.

The resale value of these things mildly frightens me.

-looks at the store bought stuff-

I would go up to $250CDN....you may not have much competition, but it all depends on where he put his reserve. 1 day auction may mean that he is short on time to unload it, too.

Im not real sure what the resale is on tanks but i look at it like this if you bought all that stuff new then you would spend quite a bit. At least 4 or 5 hundred easy so i would say as long as it's in good shape it would well be worth a hundred or more IMO :?:

Before you buy it, think about the kinds of fish you would like to have and see what size tank they would require. It might be a good price, but with a 33g you could be limited on choices. Just a thought...

Mike

Thanks for all of your answers, everyone. I also emailed the seller to inquire about his maintenance routine and the condition of everything in the tank...wouldn't want to start out with problems right from the get go!

Also, I was just taking another look at the stand...it seems odd to me that a tank stand would have glass doors. It almost looks to me that this stand was meant to be used for a stereo or TV? What do you guys think...I'd be worried that if the stand wasn't meant to be used for a tank, I might be in for a collapse.

And Salttanker, thanks for your advice re: fish selection. I have always researched saltwater with a tank around that size in mind...so I *should* be good.

Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you posted...

You're right Sara! I never noticed that before. It does look like a TV stand of some sort. Weird..

Mike

I have seen aquarium stands with glass doors before, but not many. 16 hours left and no bids..certainly looks good..and even if you do not bid to his reserve, I would not be surprised if he doesn't end up selling to you anyways.

If you have to move it all yourself I would not go more then $300. Start your bidding at $200 and have it go up from there. It is actually pretty good equipment (filter, skimmer and lighting). Not a big fan of CC for substrate. LR you can get online for under $200. Sounds like a weird selection of livestock. I would see if the LFS would give you store credit for the stuff so you can get what you want. All-in-all, not a bad set-up. Let use know what happens...Lando

Well, I asked the seller about the stand...this is the response I got:

"I was told by the person who sold it to me it was an aquarium stand. Im not absolute sure though. It is the right height compared to other stands, so pretty sure it is made for aquariums."

Well, with that (almost assurance) I think I'm going to make a lowball bid just to see if there are any other bidders waiting in the wings. I'm excited...I've been researching SW pretty seriously for the past while, but had come to the conclusion that I couldn't afford the start-up costs right now...and now *this* comes along! Perfect!

I'll keep you all posted...thanks again for all of your help!

Well, good news and bad news...

The bad news is that after I made my first bid, the seller cancelled the auction. I emailed him and apparently someone had come to view it and offered him cash on the spot. It was more than I was willing to pay, anyway.

The good news is that he is selling a 10 gallon nano, so I'm in the midst of finding out more details on that one. I'll be sure to check with you all before finalizing anything :D

Thanks again for all of your help, guys!

Keep usposted on the nano. Did the seller state why they are selling? Moving, tired of the hoby, or upgrading?

Back
Top Bottom