EBJD - Maybe On The Mend...Hoping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anachrotech

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'll try not to bore you with an overly long post as my last one here.
Medicating was a frightening prospect as I have previously injured and killed fish using meds.
Not having many options with a fish that is not eating nor pooping and getting thin, I decided to rehome the >6" pleco I had as he had been attacking Mr. Dempsey and contributing to the bio-load of the tank.
I tried feeding earthworms, bloodworms and Mysis shrimp. He didn't want any of it. He had HITH/HLLE a year and a half ago and perhaps this may be a recurrence, or it never did go away and is expressing itself internally as he has a bulge on his left side. I decided to treat the water column with Seachem Metronidazole every other day three times, alternating with 50% water changes on the off days. Treatment was finished on Friday - and he finally ate some Mysis shrimp. He ate more today as well as two pellets. He did have a bit of poop which I would call mucusy. I may treat his food now but I'm wavering between Metro or Epsom salt. There was an interesting post on MonsterFishKeepers regarding Epsom salt solution treated food as an alternative. Water changes will go to twice a week with much testing. There is much less debris in the tank without the pleco and that's a good thing especially with the size tank I have. I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Did you raise the temps when you treated with metro? You need to raise the temps to 88 or the drug won't work as it should. Feeding with epsom salt soaked feed at 1 tbs/ 500ml distilled water is a preventative.

Back
Top Bottom