Eclipse 12: Light Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amilasiu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

just got my first aquarium - Eclipse 12 and ultimately want to do a planted aquarium. However, it seems that the light included in the system (13 watts for 12 gallons) is not enough to even grow low-light plants (even anubias seem to need 1.5 watts per gallon which is less what I've got now). What to do? I assumed I could just put in a different lightbulb but it does not seem I can do it. Was not able to find a suitable bulb replacement online. Currently it is a compact fluorescent bulb; however, none of the bulbs I saw online resembled it nor would fit in the eclipse hood...

Anyway, I am wondering if there IS way to replace that darn bulb. Maybe 13 watts for 12 gallons is enough? Any advice? Would like to order my plants asap

thanks

Hmm, found higher watt eclipse replacement bulbs, but question: will they fit in the canopy?

Now I wish I just got a simple tank and customized it myself...; :?

Thanks
I've ordered Custom Sealife 65 retrofit, that's nearly 3 watts per galon. Woohoo, now I can grow some funky plants :D

Although, I should have read up on the Eclipse more: no wonder that online sellers would not tell how little light this system offers.

Although the lighting is very low, you can grow plants in an Eclipse 12. I took background I bought from PetSmart and completely covered the the back and left and right sides, leaving only the front exposed. This helps keep as much light inside the tank as possible.

I currently have 1 rather large Anubias nana barteri, a massive amount of java moss, and some Rotala indicia. All 3 plant species are healthy and fill the small tank up nicely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom