eels only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Symon1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've a 75g saltwater and I'm going to use it as an Eel only tank
what kinds can I use

it is filtered by a fluval 404 and I'm going to add some powerheads

I would get a filstar XP3 on there cause eels are deff big waste producers.. maybe even a skimmer (I dont use one but it dont mean it will hurt to use one)

then as for the eels I would go with your smaller species like the chain eel, snowflake (I have one), black edge, fire coral, ghost eel, jeweled...

now obviously I dont mean all of these in one tank I am just listing the eels that are roughly 2'-2.5' and under

Dave

I Can say as well in backing Dave that you will need a good skimmer, for any canister filters will not prove to do well with these animals, not in the long run :roll:
Buddy ><{{{{">

A Happy New Years To All :D

you mention eels in plural, how many did you plan on having in the tank? I have an eel tank that is 100 plus gallons with a trickle filter that is big enough to service a 300 gallon tank, also an aquamedic skimmer. Nitrate levels are maintained at an acceptable level, but just barely.

There are 4 eels in the tank, all good sized.

Hara, which four Eels do you have in your 100 gal tank is it? Of course you know that smaller eels together can be quite successful and i would guess this 100 is a Moray eel tank only. Im still trying to resize and adjust few pictures of the twin eel tanks i have that been setup in the first year that i moved down here to NC from NYC (Long Island).
This setup been setup for some nine years till this point of time and the system was moved about two months ago. I can tell you this much, the nitrates after the cycle has completed has been after at untraceable levels and i do water changes on a weekly bases. The tanks are a 130 and a 70 gal tanks with a pair of eels in both. I had Moray eels for the better part of my years in this hobby and it is sounds quite nice to hear after the last six months or so that there be hobbyists who will give their tanks for their eel(s) alone for most people i see will want other marine species as tank mates for their Eels..
A Very Happy New years To All :D
Buddy ><{{{{">

I have a snowflake that I have had for over 3 years but is over 8 years old...an adult jeweled moray and 2 yellow headed fimbriated's that are pushing 2.5 feet. The fimbriateds are the aggressive ones in the tank. I do water changes monthly only...I am sure the nitrates would be non noticeable if I did it weekly, but I have 6 saltwater tanks in the house and well.......weekly aint happenin anytime soon :)

I really like the eels and I have added only urchins, starfish and cucumbers to the tank as the fimbriated's will not tolerate anything else.

Hara, you not need to tell me about the aggressiveness of the Fimbriated morays ;) before a while ago, i had nine tanks in all, but before moving, i had to sell the main large fish in the F/O tanks because at my new home i not have the space for them so in all, i have four tank with the twin eels tanks are two the tanks with the other two being my 180 and 240 reef tanks. I can well assume that you need to keep those Fimbriated moray well feed are it be problems for not even a 100 gal tank will protect any tank mates from those two :(
The eels i have are as you can see are a mating pair of H. Dragon Morays with a pair of Goldentails and a pair of Dwarf Golden Morays that are in my reef tanks. And Yeah, you not really manage to keep most marine animals in a tank with the Fimbriateds, not even a stonefish or lionfish will do ;)
Hara, what resizing tool you have? The one i have to fit here to be able to upload makes the photos to small :( I think i be able to upload at picture gallery far larger photos for im told the photos need to be not so small at about 250 KB
A Happy New Years to All :D
Buddy ><{{{{">

PS, I was trying to upload a picture of the eel tanks showing the sump and all, but i cannot im sorry to say, i have to make this photo even smaller then the picture of my male dragon moray :(

Back
Top Bottom