Eggs/Algae on used equipment ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCWoman64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I have some "used" supplies that I have picked up. There is a 12" X 12" plastic plant mat. This looks like an ideal piece to put in a "nursery tank" for the pregnant platty I have.

The plastic plant has been out of a tank for 2 weeks. Today after putting it in a bucket of water to attempt to clean it I notice lots of jelly looking blobs with what looks like eggs in them all over it, as well as lots of dark green algae. There was snails, black skirts and barbs in the tank where the plant came from. Will these eggs hatch or can I consider them "dead" now? Can I just put this plant in my FW community tank and let the plecos and other fish eat this stuff before putting it in the nursery tank. If not can you suggest the easiest way to clean this.

TIA !!

I would be very careful about putting that in your tank without cleaning it thoroughly. If those are pond snail eggs, which they sound like them, you'll regret not getting rid of them when they take over your tank. I'd suggest pouring boiling water over it, being careful about melting the plastic of course. You could probably freeze it too, but im not sure how tough the eggs are.

yep, regret it till the bitter end. only real option to eradicate them is to nuke the tank. sure some fish eat them but if you truly dont want them.....nuke em.

I just nuked my 45, soak that stuff in coppersafe and water.

Dip the mat in a 5% bleach solution for a minute, then rinse it in a bucket of water with 3x overdose of dechlorinator. Should take care of both the algae and the snail eggs.

Welcome to AA! Bleach does work on BBA. You might have to scrape the algae off after it's dead.

I personally prefer hydrogen peroxide over bleach as you can let it sit for a while and not worry about leeching into the plastic (and no need to be cautious, just rinse it off after), but either will work. And yes I would recommend cleaning it well prior to adding to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom