Eheim 2217 assistance requested please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

44Paps44

Aquarium Advice Activist
A co-worker gave me a spare canister he had laying around and would appreciate the help of you fine people in deciding whether it's worth parting this together or buying the $99.99 version on Amazon Prime.

Prime offer is coming with canister and:
Permo-elastic silicon sealing ring fixed on the pump head for easy and safe closing after cleaning
Equipped with filter sponges and/or loose filter media
Accessories included: spray bar, inlet pipe, hose and installation accessories
Comes complete with filter media (EHEIM Mech & Substrat Pro) and valves

What I have now is:
Canister
O-ring (new)
spray bar
inlet pipe

From my one day of research I know I'm going to need:
Sponges
Blue x2 (both needed?) = 11.97
White x1? = 8.99
Carbon = (not needed)
Sub-total = 20.96 + possible tax
Media
Mech (bottom layer x 1L) = 18.02
Substrat Pro (2L middle layer) = 26.56
Sub-total = 44.58
9.8ft of tubing = 12.41

running total is $77.95 so far.

I'm not really worried about leaks as this guy is an avid hobbyist and says they were checked. Is the savings only $22 to get me to the Amazon deal or is there a way to make going used worth it? Also likely going to add an inline heater to the set up.

Would appreciate any way to cancel some of the stuff in my shopping cart and advice on anything missing that will also be needed.

Thanks in advance

Tank is 56 gallon high (30x18x24) currently running Aqueon 55/75 and Aqueon 200w heater
Moderately planted with swords, fern, banana plants

Stocking:
Angelfish - 4"
Snakeskin Gourami - 7"
Rainbow Shark - 6"
South American Leaf Fish - 1.5"
Para Pleco (L075) - 3"
4 Sunset Platy's (3f/1m) - 1"
1 m/f German Blue Rams - 1.5"
5 Cory (2 Pep, 2 Spot, Albino)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use an fx5, but if it were me just based on the situation and only $20 of savings, I'd buy new and keep the used on reserve as a backup in case anything were to ever happen.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

sounds like you have done your homework. You may already know the order to place the media, but in case you do not:
1: put in the ceramic noodles with the holes in them
2: put in the blue sponge
3: put in the round pumice beads
4: put in the white fine mesh sponge
5: carbon pad (optional)

that's it. Have a Happy New year!

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I 'missed' the Amazon $99 sale and will end up buying the parts for the canister. Co-worker actually has media and will be bringing that to me so just ended up paying for sponges, tubing, etc. Just need to clean the media.

Some additional questions.

Inline Heater - I see that Hydor is pretty much the only option for inline heating but from the reviews I see it's about 50/50 on them working for more than a year so am reconsidering this option and will probably just buy a spare heater to keep in the house if something happens to go wrong with current Aqueon 200w. (just hope it's a fixable failure if it does happen). Anyone have any suggestions on more reliable inline options?

Water flow - So I'm thinking of keeping the Aqueon 55/75 hob in use while running the 2217. I can't control the flow (400gph) for the Aqueon and am wondering if there is an ideal placement set up for the Eheim. Will place the intake on the rear right (opposite the Aqueon intake. Currently the output flow of the Aqueon is pretty strong and flows on one half of the tank, should I position the spray bar next to hob flow so it flows same direction on opposite half (versus placing on side and flowing lengthwise where currents will meet weirdly in the middle).

Or should I just get rid of the 55/75 altogether and replace with something of lesser strength? Not sure the Angel or Leaf will appreciate much more current.

I put my Eheim Inlet and Outlet pipes on the same end of the aquarium. I use a little extra hose and position the spray bar in a vertical position in the front corner and the inlet in the back corner. It produces good current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom