Eheim Classic 2217 vs. Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfcent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am considering getting a canister filter for my 84 gallon tank. I have narrowed it down to the Eheim Classic 2217 or the Fluval 405. In Canada they are fairly close in price and are about what I can afford. I would really like to hear from anyone that is familiar with both filters and what their thoughts are, pros and cons of each model. All info would be very much appreciated.
thank you.

I don't know the Eheim, but I'm very pleased with my Fluval canister (305). The media setup is the best I found with the 4 sponges on the side catching everything coming in and the trays provide tons of room for poly-fil to scrub the water before it gets to the biomedia. Initial setup was easy and cleaning is a snap, since I can use the canisters tub to rinse out the media, then refill it with cured water and put it back in service.

I'm a Fluval fan so my vote goes to the 405, it's easy to use, very easy maintenance, effective, and it's extremely quiet. My only gripe are those miserable impeller covers that break, I have five 405's running and the tabs break off after a year or so, but at $10 it's a cheap part. And I like to keep a couple of them and a impeller on hand just in case.

Mogurako, if you had to buy one today, which would you buy? Noise is of concern for me also ease of maintenance.

halfcent said:
Mogurako, if you had to buy one today, which would you buy? Noise is of concern for me also ease of maintenance.

Fluval is a little easier because it has the media baskets, the Eheim you layer the media in the canister. I love the quick disconnect hoses on the Eheim though. I bought Eheims because I need the normal hose so I can hook it up to my custom plumbing.

Well after days of reading up on the differences and peoples options of these two filters, it appears it is six of one - half dozen of the other. Both have pluses and minuses, both are about the same cost here in Canada. I have decided to go with the classic Eheim 2217. Reason being people say it is quieter and pretty much fail proof. Also I like the idea of the normal size hoses in case I want to get fancy with the plumbing. I made my purchase online through Big Al's but currently in Canada we are going through a rotating Postal strike so I have no idea when I will see it. But when it arrives I will be sure to give you all my impressions.

Back
Top Bottom