Eheim substrate pro, does it clog and need replacing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have read alot on the internet saying that Eheim subtrate pro will clog and needs replacing every so often. Otherwise it will not work.
Is this true?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Of course they say that! How else would they sell more to make more money :)

A decent cleaning in old tank water once a month is all that needs to be done with it. You could bleach it as well to help remove some of the stuck in gunk but I wouldn't do more than 1/3 at a time.

Ok. I read on net that Eheim substrate pro gets clogged and interferes with BB.
Where Seachem Matrix never clogs. I was thinking of using Matrix in the filter... but if you think its fine. I'll leave it.

Clean in tank water. Never throw out.
If you feel you must, clean it with hot water and bleach, dry it out then soak in prime to dechlorinate. I've never had the need to do this.

Clean in tank water. Never throw out.
If you feel you must, clean it with hot water and bleach, dry it out then soak in prime to dechlorinate. I've never had the need to do this.

No. Please don't bleach your bio media.. it can be dirty, no big deal.. just swish it around in a bucket of tank water to knock loose debris off.. never needs replacing unless it's dissolving to nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Ok, just to make things clearer, I have read that sintered glass bio media, in particular Eheim Substrate Pro, clogs somehow after a year or so, and is no longer effective to hold BB.

People are stating this on the net. Not Eheim, but aquarists are claiming this. I am not sure if this is over reacting, or if its true. So I wanted to ask what people here do about this, or if they just leave it for years and nothing happens, or clean/change it over.

Maybe I'll just stock Seachem matrix in it, as I have plenty, and apparently it never clogs as it's reusable forever.

That's kind of lame.. if anything add the matrix a few months before chucking the eheim stuff..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, just to make things clearer, I have read that sintered glass bio media, in particular Eheim Substrate Pro, clogs somehow after a year or so, and is no longer effective to hold BB.

People are stating this on the net. Not Eheim, but aquarists are claiming this. I am not sure if this is over reacting, or if its true. So I wanted to ask what people here do about this, or if they just leave it for years and nothing happens, or clean/change it over.

Maybe I'll just stock Seachem matrix in it, as I have plenty, and apparently it never clogs as it's reusable forever.

How exactly do they claim that they are measuring the efficiency or cloggedness of the media? Sounds like they are regurgitating information without any real knowledge. The exact same question goes for seachem matrix never clogging. How do they know and how are they measuring it?

I have the ehiem media and it works fine had it for 2 years and got it used to so I don't see any problems with it clogging

Brandonfish, is bio media still perfect? Do u test regularly?

Back
Top Bottom