EI Dosing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Been doing EI for about a month or so, and I am not sure the quantity of my dosing is required. I used YET Another Dose Calc, and set it up for 40G DIY Mix. The problem is I have an extreme amount Phosphate and Nitrate by the end of the week.

End of Week:
Phosphate ~8-9 (TAP cut with R/O 65/35 = '0.5-1.0')
Nitrate 60-80

I think the main problem is, I don't have a lot of water column feeding plants, most of my plants are heavy root feeders "DIY Root Tabs" (Vals, Chillense, Sword, Crypt), only a few (Anubias, Java, Red Water Rose).

This new 500ml mix 30ml dose I created based on a 20gallon tank, basically cut my dose in half. I don't think I will have any problems, but what is your opinions?

30ppm of Co2
Medium -> High Light
4hrs on, 4hrs off, 6hrs on, 10hrs off

I would skip dosing the potassium nitrate in the tank. Nobody doses that anyways :)

The phosphate level, while high isnt outlandishly high.

I would skip dosing the potassium nitrate in the tank. Nobody doses that anyways :)

The phosphate level, while high isnt outlandishly high.

I guess in regards to the phosphate, I am just concerned with too much causing Algae to thrive. I guess I can halve this at the 20gallon setup, and just keep my K2SO4 at the 40 G level?

You don't dose the KNO3? Sorry, I bought the kit from GLA and most sites show using it.. :oops:

I just worry with keeping sensitive Rams, and Cory's with that high of Nitrate.

I guess in regards to the phosphate, I am just concerned with too much causing Algae to thrive. I guess I can halve this at the 20gallon setup, and just keep my K2SO4 at the 40 G level?

You don't dose the KNO3? Sorry, I bought the kit from GLA and most sites show using it.. :oops:

I just worry with keeping sensitive Rams, and Cory's with that high of Nitrate.

the KNO3 is included because it's an important macro nutrient, but it isn't dosed in most peoples tanks because the fish provide all the nitrates needed. As long as your trates are staying above 10ppm or so, then there's no need to dose it.

You can give it a try with your new mix. It shouldn't hurt anything.

Okay, first off you need the KNO3, its the K2So4 that can be optional depending how much nitrates you get from the fish. Are you dosing daily? Are you doing weekly 50% water changes?

Okay, first off you need the KNO3, its the K2So4 that can be optional depending how much nitrates you get from the fish. Are you dosing daily? Are you doing weekly 50% water changes?

You truly don't need the KNO3 as long as you have a detectable level of nitrates in the tank. It just pumps extra nitrates in the tank unnecessarily.

You truly don't need the KNO3 as long as you have a detectable level of nitrates in the tank. It just pumps extra nitrates in the tank unnecessarily.

This is simply not true. You'd have to have a pretty stocked aquarium to ensure you have enough N. And if it was so unnecessary as you claim, why is it the most dosed fert in the EI regime?

Very true, however I would advise using a calibrated test if you want to forgo KNO3 dosing. The API nitrate tests notoriously read higher than actual concentration. Calibrate your kit to be sure. The kit I'm currently using reads zero nitrates correctly, but an actual concentration of just 5 ppm (per calibrated reference solution) reads more like 15-20 ppm.

Yes of Course:
M-W-F - Macro
T-T-S - Micro
Sun - 50-70% change (because nitrates are so high)

This is simply not true. You'd have to have a pretty stocked aquarium to ensure you have enough N. And if it was so unnecessary as you claim, why is it the most dosed fert in the EI regime?

With methods such as EI, it really doesn't matter as long as the concentration is non-limiting (and dosing isn't pushing NO3 to sky-high levels at the end of the week). It depends on stocking level vs. nutrient demand. Some people just dose it regardless, which can be a waste, true, but it gives peace of mind without having to do weekly testing.

It might be the most dosed fert because a planted tank may not have any aquatic life to create nitrate? Not sure... but if my tank is truly this high, it cannot be good for some sensitive fish.

Also it goes back to, 90% of my plants are heavy root feeders and get the Trate from tabs vs Water Column?

It might be the most dosed fert because a planted tank may not have any aquatic life to create nitrate? Not sure... but if my tank is truly this high, it cannot be good for some sensitive fish.

Also it goes back to, 90% of my plants are heavy root feeders and get the Trate from tabs vs Water Column?

Once you figure out how many ppm of nitrate/phosphate you add per week. We can start putting the puzzle together. You also said you used DIY root tabs, how deep did you place them and what kind of substrate?

It very likely isn't. Calibrate your kit. :)
I will research how to do this.

Once you figure out how many ppm of nitrate/phosphate you add per week. We can start putting the puzzle together. You also said you used DIY root tabs, how deep did you place them and what kind of substrate?

40G Setup: 500ml bottle 30ml dose
KN03 30.8G
KH2P04 4.7G
K2SO4 42.17G

Micro: 500ml bottle 15ml dose
38.6G

Root Tabs:
Small gravel substrate, 3in deep

Alright then. I took this test just for you.

My tank:
High light w/ pressurized co2 40 gallon breeder approx 60% stocked according to Aqadvisor.
PPS Pro ferts without any kno3 added.

Not surprising seeing how my water change day is tomorrow. It's somewhere around 30 - 40ppm which is right what I shoot for. Fwiw, this is the first time I've tested nitrates on this tank in about 2 months.
uDielRH.jpg

The tank for reference:
OusCMJm.jpg

Since this one was done with PPS Pro ferts, I will post my old tank as well which was done with high light and pressurized co2 as well. The nitrates ran exactly the same although it was a little more heavily stocked. There was also no added KNO3 in this tank either.

old 55g:
wvbeMtq.jpg

So my response as to the necessity of KNO3 - Largely Unnecessary.

I agree with calibrating your kit, make sure you are following the directions with shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds before testing too. Also I find it hard to compare the colors on the nitrate tests. You are a little rich but not too far off, you could back it down to 25ML or even 20 and still be fine. Did you use osmocote in your root tabs? i'd test your water for ammonia or nitrite, the root tabs could be coming through the gravel as well. Easy thing to rule out.

I agree with calibrating your kit, make sure you are following the directions with shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds before testing too. Also I find it hard to compare the colors on the nitrate tests. You are a little rich but not too far off, you could back it down to 25ML or even 20 and still be fine. Did you use osmocote in your root tabs? i'd test your water for ammonia or nitrite, the root tabs could be coming through the gravel as well. Easy thing to rule out.

Yes of course, I bang the bottle for at least 30 secs before using :)

Yes I used osmocote in my tabs, and no they're not leaking ammonia or nitrite (those get tested every 2 days.

I will research the calibration, but at this point I think im going to follow Mebidd and cut my dosing in half (15ml with the current setup) and remove the nitrate from the regimen and monitor the well being of my plants.

Back
Top Bottom