Elbii Angel Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonnyKhan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently introduced an Elbii (Red-Striped) Angel to my 55q aquarium. The tabk is FOWLR with the possibility of some hardy inverts to be added later. Currently I have an adult algae blenny and a juvenile/sub-adult Clarke's clowfish.

The new angelfish appears to be healthy and vibrant, and it has eaten several kinds of food eagerly. However, under the lights of my home aquarium I can see that one eye is clouded, like a cataract. The Elbii has bright yellow rings around the eyes, so I can see that there is no discoloration anywhere except the eye itself. The eye rotates normally in the socket. This is only in one eye, and there is nothing else physically wrong with it.

Until they were seperated, I also noticed that both the clownfish and the blenny were giving the new arrival unwanted attention. This wasn't exactly aggressive, but involved playing "chicken" with the angelfish by swimming toward it very fast and then veering away. The blenny also insisted on sitting very near the angel and following it around. I initially divided them but the blenny spent and hour or so pushing against the divider, and the clownfish seemed to be spending a lot of time near the divider as well. They have both recently been moved to quarantine buckets

What could be causing this eye problem? Is it contagious? Also, is this a normal level of aggression towards a new arrival, or is it something to look out for? The clownfish was very docile towards it's previous tankmates, and I don't see what a blenny could have against an angelfish.

I can try to take a picture of the clouded eye if that's necessary

Typically, cloudy eye is caused by deteriorating water parameters. That's not to say your water is bad, since it is a recent introduction this could have started at the lfs you got it from. But, to be safe and treat the fish, I'd do some water changes, generally this will help clear things up. For you and your fish. :)

I agree with Cindy. Some frequent PWC`s and excellent water parameters usually will clear this up. It has worked for me.

thank you

Thank you for your advice. . .I did two 25% water changes and the cloud has gone away. Either the pwc worked, or it just went away now that the angel is out of the dealer's tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom