Electric yellow holding for the first time :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so my electric yellow is holding for the first time and this is my first time I've had a cichlid holding, I be had african cichlids for around 3 months. So I'm wondering what I should do??? she's been holding for 5 days now and shoes tiny she's barely 6cm

Thanks

Depends do you want to let her carry them though or strip her? Striping would be taking the fry out before she spits. It increases your odds of fry

Either way is safe when done right, I have done both! If you strip her, you just don't want to keep her out of the water too long obviously, and when you put her back in the water for a moment, let her swim a bit and get to breathing. I keep my hand in her tank for a minute to let her get calm and pick her up, she fights me the first 2-3 times I take her out, but then she tends to be a good girl after that.

but ok :) let's get started.

I have had 3 batches of fry from my yellow lab, and she continues to get prego usually 2-3 weeks after I put her back in to swim the the rest.

First time lab mothers usually spit a low number of fry, sometimes as low as 3. My lab spit 9 her first time, which is fairly good!

I recommend a breeder box, and put her in after 1 week or as soon as you see her getting picked on by her tank mates. Stress will cause her to eat the eggs or spit them early (and you will lose them)

They say labs carry around 21 days, but mine tends to be around 29. Her first time, she ran to 27 days. 2nd time, 29 days. I stripped her just yesterday at 21 days due to me needing the breeder box for another, and they still had the 'egg yoke' on them, which could potentially go sour very quick. However, they are doing fine as of now.

If you are home all the time, and tend to keep a good eye on your fish, then I recommend letting her spit em. She's a mother, and let her do her motherly thing! Now, if she's pushing past 25 days, then I would potentially try to strip her, which is fairly easy to do. YouTube has quite the many videos on it, just watch more than 1 so you know different techniques. However, like I said, let her be a mom at least once! The reason you need to keep an eye on her though, is she can eat her fry just hours after spitting them out. She will not have eaten for around 20+ days. Labs are supposedly good mothers and keep them safe for awhile, but I never trust it. So separate them as soon as she has spitten them all out.

Once mine spit/are stripped, I move them to another tank I have so they remain safe. DO NOT put them back in your main tank, as the other fish will eat them do to population control, any even hunger :)

Oh, and a last note. I strip the fry into a separate bowl/container so I can put mom back in the breeder box to breath again, until I strip more fry from her. If you try to strip, once 1 or 2 come out, look for a fat/bloated belly. That is the egg yoke, and they aren't completely ready to be out of the mommas mouth. If you put the fry back in the breeder box with mum, she will usually suck them back up and continue to cook em for awhile :D

Good luck, and your going to enjoy it. It's a miracle, just like seeing other babies in the wild, at least this one isn't gross when it comes out :)

I forgot to mention, fry use special kinds of food, almost powder like, or frozen cubes. Flake food will be too large. You can even try placing an object into the flake food, and shaking it in til the flakes are powder.. but I recommend using food for fry as it will have better nutrition and quicker growth.

There is a food called BabyBites, it's around $6 bucks, give her take a dollar. But a lot of this food gets wasted.

And depends on age. If she's relatively mature just let her spit on her own. I let mine do that the first time and had 13 fry and they are still all alive and now she is holding again!!!!!!

@Tyler2354, I was amazed at how quickly she holds again after having fry. Just instinct I think, but still amazing :D

@Roydesilva, make a post once she does have her fry, :) I would like to know how you feel after she spits.. I'm always ecstatic.

Oh I freaked. I texted all my friends telling them how pumped I was after checking everyday for like 3 weeks waiting on them to come out.
Btw, how long does it take before they are at sellable size?? 5-6 months???

Back
Top Bottom