electronic or electromagnetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
O.K thanks to your opinions i decided on my new lights. I'm upgradeing my PC on my 90 gal. I'm buying 2-150W MH, 2-54W T5 and moonlights in one fixture. My question is do i have to buy Current or Corallife for 750-850 bucks when i have the same parameters light on e-bay for 369.99 and free shipping. Everything is the same(but not the brand).One thing witch bothered me was no mention on what kind of balast is with MH. I asked the seller and he sad ballast is high efficent electromagnetic. I kind of worry now i think i read somewhere that the best and save is electronic balast. (it is on T5s in the fixture) Electromagnetic ,what you guys think? Should i buy it and not worry? Thank you!!!!!!

Lots of people run magnetic ballasts with no issues. The electronic ballasts are more efficient, meaning less power consumption and less dissipated heat, but magnetics will work just fine too.

I have no experience with the ebay lights, but try to do some research, as these things are high power units and if they're of shoddy construction, can catch fire. This is one of those places where you tend to get what you pay for, and it can be dangerous. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you've thought through this.

you can get other retrofit kits fairly reasonably priced for name-brand ballasts which have proven to be good products. They don't come in a fixture, but can easily be adapted into a canopy.

I have no experience with the ebay lights, but try to do some research, as these things are high power units and if they're of shoddy construction, can catch fire. This is one of those places where you tend to get what you pay for, and it can be dangerous. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you've thought through this.

Totally agree. I often see "Odyssea" brand lights sold as no-name lights on eBay. You might want to google that brand name as part of your research.

Back
Top Bottom