Elegance coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so i picked up this amazing looking Australian elegance the other day and as i look at it now it deems very healthy except for one part.....the coral looks like a S shaped body and at the end of one the skeleton is starting to show, it also seems like its not opening at that end, i think it will make it b/c my system is very healthy, im also going to do a 10 gallon WC today to help it out. Ideas? Expierence?

Heres a pic

Attachments

• image-1884969949.jpg
    image-1884969949.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 159
As i look at it closer the skeleton is showing, as well as the mucus on the tentacles as ive seem

Attachments

• image-4265164.jpg
    image-4265164.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 153
i've never kept an elegance coral but from what i read they are not easy to keep and require low flow, if the flow is to high you can pull their flesh off the skeleton. try and move it to a low flow area of the tank, blocked off by some rocks

Sorry to say that doesn't look good. Usually once to start to go, it's only a matter of time. Low-No flow might help & spot feed it some enriched brine/mysis and you may have a chance. Normally spot feeding isn't required, haven't fed mine in a year, but it may help boost it back to health.

I can't tell by looking, is the bare looking skeleton bleached & dead looking or just really retracted? If its the latter, you should have better odds.

Once it's healthy it can handle more (low to moderate) flow as long as its turbulent & not direct.

At the end it looks dead, though today one of the parts that was really closed up on the end filled up even though it doesn't have ling tentacles, about halfway from that retracted side actually puffed up, I'm thinking this may be a food sign, and the other part looks very healthy IMO, ill update tomorrow.

Today it has gotten worse, it seems like it was receeding. I tried to feed it and it took some mysis, hopefully tomorrow it will stay the same and accept more food

Attachments

• image-996217564.jpg
    image-996217564.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 78
Ive read that doing a coral dip on a dying elegance will only make it worse. I just feed it its sencond spit feeding and it gobbled it up very well...hopefully this is a good sign. I also will move it tomorrow to lower light as it seems to be bleaching

The bleaching is not lonely due to light, but from tbsp death of tissue already in progress. Mine close up more in low light. If the healthy looking part seems unaffected by the light you could likely rule that out.

Well i fed it again and seemed like its doing good, if the coral keep receeding ill move it under lower light.

Back
Top Bottom