Elephant nose fish advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystickmonkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Re-post from new member intro.

Hello all.

I recently got an elephant nose fish from a local store (highly recommended). I was warned about the difficulty to an extent. I have been doing much research on this type and am getting freaked out about the possibility of starvation.

All of my fish are healthy and my tank is well cycled and numbers are good.

I know elephant noses are shy and light sensitive, so I subdued the light for when it's on to try and make Eeyore less nervous.

I tried to feed Eeyore using a breeding tank and failed. Then, using a turkey baster to spot feed. I felt very "special" attempting the later. I fed/feed Eeyore after turning the light off for the night and the loaches devoured everything, and i know they are well fed.

I'm considering either loosing the loaches or getting/making a divider to separate him.

Not sure what to try.

Thanks.

Hi I have an elephant nose had him for a few months now. Have u tried hand feeding him? They are smart fish & pick up quickly I just make sure I do it in the same spot every day. Target feeding is good as well, does he have a cave were he hides if he does target feed him in there. He will become more confident to come for his food, mine makes sure nobody gets his food! Their great fish. Hope this helps

ForumRunner_20120610_123651.jpg

Also meant to ask what do you feed him? Mine loves live bloodworm, brine shrimp & daphnia, he hates live tubifex which is strange as their suppose to love it! I also feed frozen mosquito larvae, beefheart & brine shrimp with garlic. They are very sensitive fish to changes in parameters so keep an eye on them. I hope this helps you. :)

I'm going to get a tube cave today.

I tried to hand feed and he just hides in my bonsai tree. I've been giving everyone bloodworms at the advice of my LFS.

It's only been a few days that he's been here but I don't want to kill here. ( I know there's no way to tell sex.)

I've noticed him pushing his tank mates around and chacing them at times.

He,ll love his cave! Mine Chases fish about but he hasn't hurt anyone. He,ll just need time to settle in & get confident. Enjoy him, mines my pride & joy :)

Thanks. I am very fond of him also. I've been researching the every chance I get.

I read that loaches and ele's compete for food. I think that I'm going to try to divide the tank to keep the loaches to one side.

Mine has that problem with my corydoras but once he got confident he's got no problem now he just pushes them out the way, you could always see if it settles. Thanks

Bought 2 tubes. He checked them out, but haven't seen him in it.

Still no luck with food. I'm going to try getting frozen brine shrimp, maybe he'll like them better. Tried hand feeding again. Put them in his face. He nosed them and passed.

Give him time to settle, try not to worry too much. Have you tried live bait? Thats what I used when I first got mine especially live bloodworm. Their suppose to love live tubifex maybe try something like that. He,ll soon pick up when it's feeding time some take longer to settle in.

He finally ate! I picked up some live black worms and segregated the loaches. I spot fed him with an unused medicine syringe and he gobbled them up. We were so happy.

Mystickmonkey said:
He finally ate! I picked up some live black worms and segregated the loaches. I spot fed him with an unused medicine syringe and he gobbled them up. We were so happy.

Brilliant, really pleased for you :)

Thats great, they're fun to have. They are very good jumpers, my friends jumped out during cleaning time! Let me know how you get on :)

They were doing fine. All eating well an the rope is getting on well with the loaches.

I just noticed that the elephant nose has an injury on his snout. It seems like it got cut and a white piece of cartilage is poking out near the base. He hasn't been rooting and seems to be guarding it.

Has anyone had any experience? Is this something that can heal. I'd hate to see him suffer and starve. He hasn't rated since thursday night.

Don't know what you can do, I just know their sensitive to meds. Sorry to hear that :(

Back
Top Bottom