Elephant nose!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new baby elephant nose I love him he's very active and gets along with every one!!

Sorry taken with an ipad2 :(

im dieing for one of these. but i live in belfast so my choices of where i can get fish are kinda limited and we dont have to many places that do the weirder species

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Wow thats an awesome fish!! Never seen one before! How big do they get????

Maybe 9 inches but in captivity.

But there's different kinds the LFS owner said his friend went to the amazon or whatever and found 30inch elephant nose fish lol

But yeah 8-9 inches max.

Make sure you know their unique requirements. I've heard that they pretty much need live food, can be timid, and are nocturnal.

That aside, cool critter. They actually have electric organs like a shark does. I read somewhere once that their electric field changes based on their mood, and can be a gauge of water quality.

My new baby elephant nose I love him he's very active and gets along with every one!!

Sorry taken with an ipad2 :(

Maybe 9 inches but in captivity.

But there's different kinds the LFS owner said his friend went to the amazon or whatever and found 30inch elephant nose fish lol

But yeah 8-9 inches max.

Very cool fish. Did you know they hunt with electricity? Like I said, very cool.

They really are better suited to a species only set up however. They are nearly obligate worm feeders and prefer a group. They are not Amazonian fish, they are African riverine. We kept a group of 6 at the GA Aquarium and they were just about the most labor intense FW fish there.

I had an elephant nose recently. unfortunately I had an outbreak of a fungus and felt it was right to return him (I have a planted tank so salt is out of the question and didn't want to kill the guy with medication). Very cool fish, but after the ordeal I'm a bit glad I didn't keep him because I don't think I'm ready for a fish that sensitive. Also learned that maybe I should set up a quarantine tank.:banghead:

I did hear if you put a small ball of tinfoil in the tank with him he will play with it because of their electric field. I never got a chance to try it.

Well I've had him for 2 days all is well so far. Fed him some bloodworms, I try to take good care of my fish my delicate fish I dedicate a lil time everyday to hand feed them no different with this guy.

I also take care of a 125g tank with 2 bgk that are very similar in alot of ways so I have some experience with these type of fish.

Although if anybody has this fish or has experience with these guys your welcome to chime in!

And wish me luck!

Well I've had him for 2 days all is well so far. Fed him some bloodworms, I try to take good care of my fish my delicate fish I dedicate a lil time everyday to hand feed them no different with this guy.

I also take care of a 125g tank with 2 bgk that are very similar in alot of ways so I have some experience with these type of fish.

Although if anybody has this fish or has experience with these guys your welcome to chime in!

And wish me luck!

Sounds like you're off to a good start with it. Just like everything else (especially this fish), research, planning, and dedication are required. Keep it well fed and in extra clean water and it should live at least a half a decade for you easily.

That guy is amazing! I have always loved elephant noses, but I do not see them very much around here. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom