Emergency Glofish Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish1999

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am new here, hoping someone will be able to help me figure out what is going on with my Glofish Tetra. I have posted on a few other forums as well but truly nobody knows what is going on with this fish
Having trouble swimming, staying near the surface swimming vertically/with nose pointing up. Bouncing around instead of using fins. Overall just swimming strange. Only fish with these symptoms.

What is the water volume of the tank? 60 G
What is the water volume of the tank? Full
How long has the tank been running? 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76•
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
-5 GloFish Tetras
-4 Oto Catfish
-Cory Catfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Multiple conditioners/added benefits.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily, skip one day a week
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can consume in 3 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Over 2 weeks ago

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Swimming with nose up, staying near surface and acting strange, “bouncing”
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Recently fasting intervals, epsom salt baths and feeding peas.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behaviour changed as mentioned. Still willing to eat.

Any info or advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Just wanted to add:

I do not believe it is swim bladder but I can’t be certain. The way the fish is swimming, upright/nose pointing up, sort of “bouncing” instead of using fins.
Some people on other forums suggested swim bladder, so I have been treating for it with no luck. Another person is leaning towards possible neurological issues ?

Any and all advice/thoughts/ideas/recommendations are so very greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!! :) if I missed any important info please let me know as well!

I have posted videos over the past 2 weeks on my YouTube. Please find the links below:

1.) first video posted 2 weeks ago when first noticed symptoms
youtube.com
GloFish Tetra
youtube.com youtube.com

2.) second video from July 7th (best one)
youtube.com
July 7th
youtube.com youtube.com

3.) third video from July 9th with light on for better view
youtube.com
:)
youtube.com youtube.com

No indication of parasites or any visible illness.
Thank you so much please help me help this little one :(

I think the swim bladder diagnosis is most likely to be correct. 2 years old for a glofish tetra? Thats getting on in years, and glofish are notoriously not hardy fish and get sick at the drop of a hat.

Okay… so if it is swim bladder, what do you recommend doing? The epsom salt baths are not helping nor is feeding peas. Any advice ? I’m at a loss.

Sorry to say this, but if treatments arent working there might not be anything you can do. 2 years is a good innings for a tetra, glofish doubly so. Fish, like people, get sick more often as they age and treatments work less effectively. Is the fish suffering?

Well that’s my next question. How would I know? It doesn’t seem like a very good quality of life… just bouncing around the other fish stay away. The fish will eat but how do I know if it’s suffering ? When do I draw the line and consider humane euthanasia ? I’m just at a loss as to what to do

Ive watched your videos. If treatment isnt working i would let it be. I would draw the line when the fish isnt eating and its no longer active.

Its my opinion. Other people will tell you different and draw the line somewhere else.

Have you tried any medication? Im not really a medication expert but you could try a broad spectrum medication to see if it helps. Im from UK and we dont have great medications available here, so my recommendations arent worth much if you live somewhere that has better availability. I have success with Esha2000 as a general medication where you cant be sure what the problem is.

I have not tried any meds as I have absolutely no idea what to treat for. I could look into some general meds however. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom