Endlers / snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjt34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

I recently purchased a pair of endler live bearers and an apple snail for my 6G tank (they are the first fish after a fishless cycle) and I have a few questions;

How many endlers could this tank safely house in the end?

Does the snail need any special feeding? (I just have flake food so far....?)

The tank is heated and lots of fake plants and a couple moss balls.

Thanks!

Hi all.

I recently purchased a pair of endler live bearers and an apple snail for my 6G tank (they are the first fish after a fishless cycle) and I have a few questions;

How many endlers could this tank safely house in the end?

Does the snail need any special feeding? (I just have flake food so far....?)

The tank is heated and lots of fake plants and a couple moss balls.

Thanks!
To start off, I wish I could stress enough how important it is to not put livebearers in any tank smaller than 10 gallons. Others only put them in 20 gallon+ tanks. If at all possible, rehome your endlers. Fish in a 6 gallon tank are bettas, nano fish, and some species of snails.

Apple snails need lots of vegetation in their diet, so green vegetables are needed. Google "foods for Apple Snails" and there should be plenty of resources out there. They also need calcium supplementation for proper shell quality and growth. If you don't, their shells will eventually fall to pieces. A cuttlebone from you LPS is a good source for this precious calcium.

Hope I helped!

Wow yes thanks for the info to help out with the snail! He is very active and more fun than I expected.

As for the Endlers- looks like I got bad advice from the LFS then. I am a bit surprised as other web forums / sites seem to think a small number would be fine in a smallish tank. The guy at the LFS recommended a couple to start with just to confirm my tank parameters are ok since they are hardy ( and cheap ).
For now they are very small but Perhaps when I manage to convince the other half to indulge my need for more tanks, I'll rehome them and go with the CPDs I originally planned for :p

Several people here have said I could do around three endlers in my 5 gallon. I guess it's all just who you ask.

Back
Top Bottom