energy efficent Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the most energy effeciant halides? Does anyone know or have opinions? We are looking to purchase them in January for the new house. Setting up a new tank in wall and I want to upgrade the lights since the tank is deeper. Also, with 14k bulbs will I need atinics? I have VHO's now that I can use for that but I'd rather not if it is not needed. Also, do fish NEED that sunrise/sundown effect? I've been doing this for years, will the change stress them too much? Thanks!

There is no energy efficient MH's, they are an electric companies dream. While some ballasts are more efficient than others, the big picture is still that these are quite the energy hogs.

Personally I would still run actinics with 14k bulbs. Sunrise/sunset patterns are not a must for the fish.

mmm, not what I was wanting to hear. How do they compare to VHO energywise? We are running 4 72" VHO's right now on our 150g. How would it compare to 3 MH's? Is this still a dramatic increase in energy usage?

Halides and "energy efficient" in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron, really. They consume much more energy than the amount of light they give out. As an example, they will consume 275 watts of electricity to give out 250 watts of light. A lot of energy is lost in heat production.

Check the ballasts of your VHO lights. You should see something that indicates the power consumption. Add it all up then compare with the halides. You will think it over a few times before switching to halides. :wink:

Of course, if money is no problem, then this is a non-issue.... 8O

:D

I have two ballasts, they are 440 ballasts. So that would be 880? The bulbs themselfs are 640watts if that matters at all. So to keep it the same and play it safe I'd need 3 175 watt bulbs? Can I pull that off in a 180 with 3-5" of sand? medium light corals is all I really get into anyway. I have two BTA's too.

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. I also run 4 VHO`s and I`m pretty sure you`ll use much more energy with the MH`s.

Back
Top Bottom