Enough Filteration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know is should add more barbs, but honestly I don't like them. Before I knew much about fish keeping I got them to cycle my tank, pretty much using them as sacrifice fish. I now know that that was bad and that I probably should have done a fishless cycle, so i could get all the fish i really want.

It looks like you are very overstocked. You need to double your filtration at least. I recommend 1.5 gal of water for every inch of adult size of the fish. Then I recommend a min of 4 gal of water filtration movement per hour per inch of adult size of fish. Most filters tell you how many gallons they will filter per hour. This may seem a bit conservative, but I find that the fish do better and the water parameters do better. Hope this helps

It looks like you are very overstocked. You need to double your filtration at least. I recommend 1.5 gal of water for every inch of adult size of the fish. Then I recommend a min of 4 gal of water filtration movement per hour per inch of adult size of fish. Most filters tell you how many gallons they will filter per hour. This may seem a bit conservative, but I find that the fish do better and the water parameters do better. Hope this helps

You honestly think I'm way overtsocked? I didn't think I was at all, I was even thinking of adding a ram into the tank. The tank stays pretty clear and i feed every other day. I was just seeing what your opinions were on my filtration.

Personally, I like overstocking, but it requires more frequent pwc and closer control of your water parameters. Overstocked tanks with small fish are prettier, and when the fish are young and small, the tank has an okay bioload, but you need to look at the long term,and the size the fish will get. My tanks average 150-160 % stocked. I just keep a close eye on the parameters and I do fine.

Yah, I haven't had a fish death in probably over 6 months, so I think the tank is pretty good. I also do bi-weekly 50% water changes

Then I think you are doing fine, with two filters and 70 gal of filtration capacity and your stocking level. Keep up the good work and may your tanks be clear and your fish happy!

I think your stocking is fine. It seems to be very spread out between the top, middle, and bottom levels. There might be a somewhat high bioload but still, a weekly 50% water change should keep parameters in check.

Alrighty, good. And my fish have been doing great, except the pristella tetras, they are always hiding for some reason

Hmmm, what water conditioner do you use? Are you careful to add enough salt back to your water?

Salt is unneeded, it some cases it can do more harm than good. Especially with tetras, who come from areas with low TDS, it is just best not to add it. IME the only time where salt comes in handy is when treating ich.

Salt adds electrolytes, which reduce osmotic stress to the gills. This is especially important during disease, when the ability of the fish to maintain homeostasis with its surrounding water is disturbed.

Salt can aid in the production of the slime layer and speed up the healing of some wound sites. This occurs by hyperosmolarity... fish have a certain specific gravity (concentration of total dissolved solids) in their bodily fluids, and so does the surrounding water... if the surrounding water has a slightly higher concentration, the fluids from the wound site move into the water around it, and fresh plasma goes in to replace it, creating more blood flow in that area (makes it heal faster).

Many pathogens, such as Ichthyophthirius (the protozoan that causes "ick"), do not particularly like salt.

It is true tetras don't need a lot of salt, but they still need a little. It is also true that it can do more harm than good for beginners, but if carefully done it can be beneficial

Yah, I don't add salt and my fish seem to be doing fine without it. But if i need to treat ich or some other illness i will definitely use it.

What about in tanks with live plants, or fish that can't have salt in the tank. Like Puffers, Cory Cats, Loaches, etc.

It's NOT needed. I don't use it. My fish are fine.

Salt adds electrolytes, which reduce osmotic stress to the gills. This is especially important during disease, when the ability of the fish to maintain homeostasis with its surrounding water is disturbed.

Salt can aid in the production of the slime layer and speed up the healing of some wound sites. This occurs by hyperosmolarity... fish have a certain specific gravity (concentration of total dissolved solids) in their bodily fluids, and so does the surrounding water... if the surrounding water has a slightly higher concentration, the fluids from the wound site move into the water around it, and fresh plasma goes in to replace it, creating more blood flow in that area (makes it heal faster).

Many pathogens, such as Ichthyophthirius (the protozoan that causes "ick"), do not particularly like salt.

It is true tetras don't need a lot of salt, but they still need a little. It is also true that it can do more harm than good for beginners, but if carefully done it can be beneficial

"Prevents ich"

The concentration needed to have an effect on the parasite is much more than would be healthy to maintain at all times in an aquarium - especially a tank full of fish hailing from soft, acidic environments. Many people add salt to african cichlid tanks, because Africans are from areas with very high TDS in the water. (Mind you that african cichlid salt supplements contain more than pure NaCl) However, many fish such as tetras, rasbora, angelfish, discus, rainbows, etc. come from areas with low TDS, meaning they are not used to having this in their water. Their salt tolerance is much lower. Not to mention that keeping the "ich fighting" concentration of salt long-term would be detrimental to a planted tank.

"Adds electrolytes"

Salt does add electrolytes, yes, however the amount needed in your water is miniscule - so small in fact, that it is in the tap already.

"Aids in slime layer production"

Yes it does. And, for that matter, so do many waterborne irritants and toxins. Slime coat is created by specialized cells scattered throughout the epidermis - they can be stimulated to grow by either a hormone or an irritant. NaCl has no known hormonal properties, thus it stimulates those cells by stressing the fish.

"Helps heal quicker"

In a dry environment, salt helps draw degraded cells and pus from a wound, thus helping clean it. This concept, however, cannot be extended to an aquatic environment. The idea that salt helps fish heal faster is, as you said, based on hyperosmolarity - the tendency of a more concentrated solution to draw a less concentrated one. You cannot do this with a fish - a brine that is more concentrated than the fish's own blood and tissue will kill it in a very timely manner.

In the end, the only good use I have found for aquarium salt is treating ich. In the meantime, put the salt in a fancy dish and set it on the table - sprinkle it on some eggs - it's just NaCl after all, the same as table salt - guests will be impressed at how much you paid for your fancy salt :)

Back
Top Bottom