Newb help with canister filter choice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcdano

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greeting all,

Looking for a little help picking one of the two following filters! Tank is a 36 gallon Bow front 7 small/Med Cichlids. I am looking at the Penn Plax Casscade 700 Elite or the Aqueon 200.. Please help as i do not know enough to make the correct choice.

Hello,

Although I can't help you with which canister filter to select, one important issue to also consider is the media which goes inside.

Adding more and / or better media to allow growth of even more BB is helpful.

I have used Fluval canister filters for about 6 years and I really love the big Fluval FX-5's that I have. They really get a great amount of turnover of gallons per hour and have baskets which have lots of room for additional media.

One I really like is Seachem Matrix. And the newer one and there are several like it is Marine BioPure blox and also they come in squares and another shape.

For comparison for the canister filters, check the amount of gallons of water per hour they turn over and compare the amount of media they hold

Check reviews for "problems with... " this is the most accurate way to understand issues which might come up owning the models you are looking for.

Check on a video or with the online manuals - how easy it is to take apart and clean them.

Using a canister filter can be a bit intimidating for cleaning them and putting them back together.

Back
Top Bottom