Enough Flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 135 gallon tank that I've slowly been turning into a reef. I have 2 koralia 1400, 1 ac70, 1 ac50 and 1 ac30. I also have my return pump (mag 950) pushing water into tank. Is this enough flow? Or should I add a few more 1400?

I think you have enough flow there. As long as there is no dead spots and fish poop isn't collecting on the sand bed you are good. You want all the fish poop to go into your filtration.

I had some a dead spot on my 30g fowlr in the bottom right where fish poop was collecting, I moved my power head around and now my flow is good.

Forgot what your setup is (if you have corals or not), but remember helping you with your skimmer I think. How's that coming along? Why do you have 3 HOB filters if you have a sump? For comparison, I have a 2 koralia 1050s in my DT and that's plenty (have all types including SPS).

Forgot what your setup is (if you have corals or not), but remember helping you with your skimmer I think. How's that coming along? Why do you have 3 HOB filters if you have a sump? For comparison, I have a 2 koralia 1050s in my DT and that's plenty (have all types including SPS).

Everything is good. I have had the sump and skimmer set up for about 8 weeks. They're working great. I originally set up a turboflotor skimmer, but it didn't work very well. I went back to my old super skimmer and its working very well. The sump took a little while to get dialed in but is working great. (I think my tank is going thru a mini cycle because I just had a diatom bloom- it's going away tho) I don't have any hob filters anymore. I had a mag 350 canister and a nice fluidized bed filter. I've removed those since my sump is running.
Flow- I have 2 1400's and 3 different size aqua clear power heads. My tank was originally set up for fowlr, but I taken the plunge and purchased a handful of frags. They're doing well. I just upgraded from compacts to t5

Everything is good. I have had the sump and skimmer set up for about 8 weeks. They're working great. I originally set up a turboflotor skimmer, but it didn't work very well. I went back to my old super skimmer and its working very well. The sump took a little while to get dialed in but is working great. (I think my tank is going thru a mini cycle because I just had a diatom bloom- it's going away tho) I don't have any hob filters anymore. I had a mag 350 canister and a nice fluidized bed filter. I've removed those since my sump is running.
Flow- I have 2 1400's and 3 different size aqua clear power heads. My tank was originally set up for fowlr, but I taken the plunge and purchased a handful of frags. They're doing well. I just upgraded from compacts to t5

I've been having a few problems with my turboflotor skimmer too, but it's still working okay. Oh yeah forgot aqua clear made other products besides hob filters. Seems like enough flow. If the water isn't still and the corals aren't being blown around too much, it's probably a good balance. Oh awesome with getting corals. What are some you got?

What corals do you intend to keep? No where near enough flow for sps.

Great question. I don't want to be limited. If possible I'd like to eventually get rid of all my aqua clears and replace them with hydors. What are your suggestions.

I suppose that would work. I guess a few of the 1650's might be a good choice for an 18" front to back dimension. This tank is 6' x 18" front to back, by 24" tall?
Perhaps 4 of the 1650s would be what i would try first.
It's been so long since I've messed around with a tank like that, that I would want to see the pumps in action in it and see how the corals are behaving, as well as the surface movement.

Gotcha. Well I'll start checking out amazon. I picked the 1400s up for $30 each. Thought that was a hell of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom