Entertain Goldies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I can't keep any plants in my goldie tank, because they uproot or just flat out destroy anything I put in. I've read that goldies mess with plants cos they are bored. What can I do to make them NOT bored? Are there goldfish toys? goldiPads? ;) habitrails?

What type of goldfish? What size tank? What do you feed them? Hardy plants such as various types of anubias or swords are the best to start with but offering them veggies daily will help to limit plant destruction and give them something to pick at when bored. You can also add some goldie-friendly plants (eldoea, wisteria, anacharis, etc) weekly just for them to munch on so they ignore the rest of your plants. Please ask if you have questions!

Regular "feeder" goldies grown huge, some koi. They get flakes and granules/pellets, occasionally shrimp and peas sometimes. I'd never read anything that said to give goldies veggies! You mean like the veggies squares in the tropical fish section of the pet store, or just like thawed frozen veggies I'd eat? Cos I could thaw them some green beans right now!

I used to have anacharis, they destroyed everything else along with it. I've never seen anubias at any B&M store anywhere around here, tho the only LFS within 30 miles closed.

Not going to lie, your going to have a very hard time with commons and koi. They are both notorious for destroying plants. My fancies are not as destructive but they are learned to eat their veggies as babies. Older fish are much more difficult. You can try offering them veggies daily in addition to their regular food and see if this helps. I use bags of frozen, microvable veggies. Cook them & toss some in. Tougher stuff, I rip or crush. Spinach, deshelled, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, sweet peppers, etcetc are good ones. Just skip heavy starches (corn, potaoes), spicy stuff and canned. No guarentee it will help with these guys though! :)

Oh, they ATTACK peas, so I don't think getting them to eat other veggies will be an issue. The only reason they don't get peas at every meal is cos individually deshelling them is such a pain! Gonna go cook&chop some broccoli for them now, thanks!

They love the flower part of broccoli!! The stem is pretty tough but they will massacre the rest. Pretty funny to watch if you stick the florets in a veggie clip- they attack it like wild animals! :)

Lol. My fancy goldie LOVES brocolli too, and de-shelled blueberries.

It's not boredom - it's natural foraging behavior. They also eat plants in the wild.

That said, some folks float plastic ping pong balls in the tank for the fish to play with. I've never done it.

Back
Top Bottom