Equipment Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just bought my first aquarium today (well, I didn't get to take the actual tank home because I am having it pre-drilled at the factory but I brought home the cabinetry). I am totally clueless about the pumps, skimmers, etc. that need to go along with the tank; however, the guy at the fish place made a list of what I would need. I was wondering if some of you could tell me if you think they are good products. My tank is a 60 gallon cube, in which I plan on having corals, inverts, etc. Here is the list:

Berlin Sump 75
Excalibur 100 Skimmer
Mag 5 pump
Corallite 24'' Strip Light (2)
Maxi-Jet 1200 (2)

Does anyone know if these are good brands? Also, are 2 of the maxi-jets enough for my size tank?

Thanks for the input!

Mag Drive pumps and Maxi-Jet power heads are some of the best in the business.

The strip light you mention is that a standard florescent fixture? If so it wont support coral youll need at least a pc or vho set up with 240 watts or more.

hth

The equipment is a good start. You will need 50-100lbs LR. Also the lighting recommendation is woefully inadequate for a reef. You will need one 250W or 400W MH either in a pendant or a hood. I suggest a pendant over the center of your cube with an open top so you can look down inside.

Well Dolphin as you can see there are many ways to create a reef ( I also strongly agree with the live rock recommendation) and many more ways to not do it. I would recommend doing lots of research and talk to others who have successful reef systems (perhaps a local club is in your area)

You can never have too much information this site is a great start.

The skimmer and sump are fine. You will definitely want to check into the lighting. If its a 2' deep tank and you want to keep any light demanding corals or clams etc then you will want at least a 250watt MH but even better a 400. Definitly look into the live rock it will aid immensely in biological filtration.

Thank you all for the friendly replies!! :) In reference to the lighting, I don't exactly remembered what the man at my fish place said but I am almost positive that he said something about metal halide. I don't remember the watts, but he said that I would need two of the strips to support the reef. And, he did say that I should start out with approximately 50 lbs. of live rock.

I'm glad that the equipment is ok. I actually found some of what he said that I would need online at cheapcorals.com for a better price. Has anyone bought anything from there?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Kristen :fadein:

2 maxi jet 1200s would work great.

And remember, 2 lbs of live rock per gallon is the best filtration money can buy!

Thanks, Micheal!

I do have one more question for whomever may know. I live in Pensacola, FL and we have some incredibly beautiful beaches with pure white sand. Naturally I wanted to put this in my aquarium, but the guy at the fish place recommended buying coral sand instead. He said something about how if would keep the pH from dropping too low, or something to that effect. Would there be any other disadvantages of using my local beach sand?

:B-fly:

Beach sand can be contaminated with who knows what. You could probably wash it several times and bleach it and rinse and rinse and rinse...or you could just use the aquarium sand or look for some tropical playsand at your local hardware store. Do a search on Southdown sand, it is a brand of playsand that you can find in some Home Depots etc. Its like $10 for a 50lb bad...a great deal if you can find it.

I believe that its unlawful to take anything off the beach. See if you can get "Southdown" brand play sand at Home Depot. Its the most sought after substrate in all the land :) It is imported from the caribbean and is the perfect "sugar" size grains.

A 50 # bag will run you about $6.00 it is a beautiful white color and is thought to help maintain proper PH.

Thanks for the info. The fish store wanted me to buy coral sand, I think they said, from them for $30 for a 30 lb. bag. I thought that was a little expensive... :) The Southdown looks really nice - I'll have to see if I can find some. Even the Pure Caribbean Aragonite is cheaper from their website than my fish store sand!

Southdown has another name that it goes by also at Home Depot "New Castle". IVe got 300 lbs in my garage but Im saving it for a future tank :) have a great day I hope you can find it.

You micht try a search in this forum to see if there are any suppliers in your area.

Back
Top Bottom