Established rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ni111

Aquarium Advice Activist
So ive been told i MIGHT have established rock which means i dont need to cycle. I put a shrimp in and took it out after about 4 days then checked my parameters and everything was normal apart from the ph needs to be a little higher and i had only 1 ammonia level which i could get rid of with water changes. I would like everyones opinion on what they think thanks :D

While trying to cycle dont worry about the PH. The added ammonia and nitrires will skew that. But yes if you have estabished LR you might not see much of a cycle. I would stay with the cycle for another week to be sure.

Can you explain to me how the established rock doesnt need a cycle ?

Live rock has die off from when it's moved, so sometimes you get a small ammonia spike and thats pretty much it. My first tank had establised rock form some guys 300g breakdown. I dosed with ammonia and saw my cycle complete in a week. And that was at 4ppm of ammonia. :)

See im stuck what to do now though :( should i put anything else in my tank ? because i left the prawn in but then i took it out because it was basically separated all over the tank and the smell was terrible.

genral hardness 180. Carbonate hardness 180 (whatever that is). ph 7.5. Nitrates 40. Nitrite 0 . ammonia 1.0

Thanks, I'm sure an expert would be around soon to explain. Only thing I know is ammonia needs to be 0.

I know when i shown one my parameters he said i might not need a cycle, he suggested a water change and a ph buffer and ill be able to put fish in but im confused :( haha

Back
Top Bottom