Established Tank Vacant For A Month Now High Ammonia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict small fry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a 10 gallon tank I want to use for a guppy breeder about a month ago this tank was running great bio with a betta and small school of tetras. I moved betta and tetras to a 30 gallon tank and left the 10 gallon vacant for a month. I tested the water two weeks ago as a precaution before adding guppies and the ammonia was through the roof I use the API master test kit and the water in the tester is super dark green putting the ammonia at a ridiculous 8ppm. Nitrites at zero ppm and ph at 6.2. Ive done a 80% water change. Put a new filter in added cycling starter (Nitrifying bacteria). I still can't get the ammonia down and my nitrites are not moving still at zero. Its like I'm cycling a new tank again.:banghead:

Is the bio gone what happened?

Yeah, if you weren't putting an ammonia source in there, the BB is going to be dead, and you will have to re-cycle the tank.

Get the ammonia down to between 2-3 ppm. Test nitrite, nitrate and pH. Give it 24 hours and test all four again. Report back with the results.

Back
Top Bottom