Eureka red peacock cichlid housing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisherjoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I was just wondering what the minimum size tank would be for a breeding trio of eureka red peacocks.

Thank you!

Fisherjoe said:
Hello,

I was just wondering what the minimum size tank would be for a breeding trio of eureka red peacocks.

Thank you!

Min 55 gallon is what most folks recommend for 5" peacocks.

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" is one of the largest Aulonocara at 7" in length and tend to be fairly aggressive towards conspecifics. I would lean on the side of caution and provide a 60-75 gallon tank with lots of caves and breaks in line of sight.

Ya, 75 minimum for eureka reds. I have a group in a 75 with a single male ruby green and a single male Malawi peacock I can't remember the name of offhand. Also a few BN pleco's, a couple of whiptail cats, and a group of 5 adult Synodontis multi's. Probably a dozen or more juvie eureka reds and alnost as many juvie multi's growing out as well. The odd male peacock and one of the adult eureka red females are blind in one eye, presumably due to the male's aggression. I did have 2 males originally, rehomed one quite some time ago.

Mogurako said:
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" is one of the largest Aulonocara at 7" in length and tend to be fairly aggressive towards conspecifics. I would lean on the side of caution and provide a 60-75 gallon tank with lots of caves and breaks in line of sight.

Agreed. Sorry for the confusion. I actually did not know that Aulonocara jacobfreibergi was aka Jacob Red. 5" Peacocks need a 55 at least, but this larger peacock need a larger tank.

It's not so much the size of the fish as the size of the territory they claim and how aggressively they maintain it. There are a few smaller species of peacocks that will work fine in a 40 breeder, but not jakes of any lineage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom