Evaporation issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I'm getting some fairly substantial evaporation on my 15gal tank.

I have to top up around 3-5 gallons a week. And on a small tank, that's a huge amount.

I'm wondering if it will be worthwhile to add a condensation tray? Or maybe a glass lid?

I've heard bad things about lids on saltwater aquariums and would like some advice please!

Thanks.

Lids me no likey. They're bad mojo for SW tanks.

I haven't thought about a condensation tray (I have to top off about 2-3 gallons a week now in my 20). I know a big part of it is that the air in the house is drier from the heat being on. If you have a humidifier on your HVAC system, you might be able to dial up the humidity a little, but you don't want it condensing on your walls, either :)

In the meantime, I just top off every 3-4 days.

I lose about an inch of water a day. If I left it 3-4 days the top of my rock would be in the air lol.

I don't have any fancy heating systems (UK here). I just set the thermostat to what ever temp and that's it.

It's a bit annoying having to too the tank off daily.

Might have to invest in an auto top off.

I have also heard that lids mess up O2 exchange and lower PH.

You probably still have drier air in the winter than in the summer, which will lead to faster evap rates, which are more evident on a smaller tank. An ATO is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom