Ever been attacked or hurt by your critters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whats more fun than cleaning an oscar tank and having them eyeball your fingers like its a delicious kabob? They got me all the time. The exciting anticipation from hand feeding them was too much to pass up.
Yeah, id do it again:)
Thats a funny story about the Lanceolatus Grouper. Very cool fish! What did they do with them when they grew out of their tanks?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whats more fun than cleaning an oscar tank and having them eyeball your fingers like its a delicious kabob? They got me all the time. The exciting anticipation from hand feeding them was too much to pass up.
Yeah, id do it again:)
Thats a funny story about the Lanceolatus Grouper. Very cool fish! What did they do with them when they grew out of their tanks?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They were sent to a large public aquarium, I believe the grouper went to Florida.
The nurse shark I had was orphaned at the store, guy literally brought it in and left it. After my caring for him for around 6 months we finally found him a home at a public aquarium in Tokyo.:)
this was all 30+ years ago when I worked in the industry.

The worst I've got is but by a guppy, which just a little tickle!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I'm guessing hermit crabs count as well.....they can really hurt, especially when they decide not to let go for the next half hour!

I had a Betta who lived in a community tank with assorted tetras who always stool food from him. I always hand fed him. He always decider to bite my fingers before he ate the freeze dried bloodworms. At first it was just a tickle but then he taught himself how to hold on to my finger and twist around (like what sharks do with seals) that began to hurt. To combat that I would hold the blood worm in the water and my fingers just above. Eventually he started to jump and bite :( not what I was planning to have him do, but guess what I taught my fish how to jump. That's I think is impressive. :)

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

it's not how big or small a critter is it's how many teeth he has that are razor Sharpe
I've taken many hits by many fish but I do believe the black domino damsel I have has the sharpest teeth I've seen yet ,
don't over look our crustation friends , I thought for sure I lost a finger to my purple lobster he latched on and didn't want to let go , if you don't know what pain is try this!!
but yes my biggest enemy is the Bristol worm not only do they hurt but can scar you for life , I found out the hard way I'm allergic to these stupid worms , I had a larger one crawl up my arm as I was working on my tank , 2 days later this is what came of it, never look at these guys as harmless as you can see , I dealt with this almost 2 months to heal,
img_3210467_0_86568e7687156f6fd1c70f075545d610.jpg

:eek: WOW, that's really something!

How long ago did that happen?
Not to be rude, but could it be because of other issues that have compromised your immune system and that is why the bad reaction?

Either way I know I'm gonna steer clear of them now.

but yeah, don't discount the little critters, my worst experience came from a barb from a saltwater cat that was no more than 3" long.
Very ill, 102 fever, shakes, major rash at the puncture site, etc. I thought I was going to die.

it happen about 2 years ago and it was determined to be allergic reaction but with a skin eating bacteria almost like a spider bite,

My goodness! I'll have to read through this thread later!

All we've had thus far is biting bettas, but that doesn't hurt, just feels like a vacuum kiss or something. Or a little nip.

This isn't in an aquarium but I once caught a small channel cat and it barbed my finger. It only bled a bit but left a red mark for a while.

My zebra danios seem to think they are little piranhas or something, whenever I put my arm in the tank they swarm around it and constantly nip at me. Of course, it doesn't hurt at all since they are only about an inch long. ?

it's not how big or small a critter is it's how many teeth he has that are razor Sharpe
I've taken many hits by many fish but I do believe the black domino damsel I have has the sharpest teeth I've seen yet ,
don't over look our crustation friends , I thought for sure I lost a finger to my purple lobster he latched on and didn't want to let go , if you don't know what pain is try this!!
but yes my biggest enemy is the Bristol worm not only do they hurt but can scar you for life , I found out the hard way I'm allergic to these stupid worms , I had a larger one crawl up my arm as I was working on my tank , 2 days later this is what came of it, never look at these guys as harmless as you can see , I dealt with this almost 2 months to heal,
img_3210600_0_86568e7687156f6fd1c70f075545d610.jpg

Jeez, I feel sorry for you. The closest injury I've had to the one on your arm was caused by a very small piece of string that got wrapped around my finger and wasn't noticed until it got yanked off. it felt like I stuck my finger into the middle of a fire. I know it's not fish caused but it's the closest I've got to a bristle worm injury.

Was redecorating my cichlid tank and lifted up a large rock to find my one spot domino syno catfish and my hi fin spotted pleco sheltering under it. Needless to say, I got barbed by both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got more injuries fishing related than fish keeping. I almost lost part of my left nipple to a blue crab and a drunk friend.

Ok, I can now add my clownfish to the list.
The little bugger has recently gone all Cujo on me and relentlessly attacks me whenever I'm working in the tank.
You have any idea just how darn irritating a 2.5" fish can be when you are trying to rearrange frags!!!! :bad-words:

Little stinker actually bit me yesterday and hung on for a second like a pit bull and it HURT!
then my pit bull/bull mastiff dog bit me by accident yesterday too!
What is up with that!?

is it a full moon or something? :blink:

You should wash your hands after eating doritos/beef jerky... critters love junk food!÷

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the voice of experience?

Umm.... yah... my gf ' s cat aggressively pursues anything minty.. pretty bizarre if you ask me, got mauled on our second date over some junior mints. I'll defend doritos to the death though so fish dont stand a chance..maybe a grouper or oscar but I havnt met one mean enough yet..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My endlers always act like they're starving to death. They seem to view my arm as a large hunk of juicy meat whenever I do water changes. :pepsi: Their little nibbles are nothing painful though.

Back
Top Bottom