Ever feel like the world hates YOUR tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been seemingly having a bad run of things.
I know to, perhaps its more me than anything but my tanks always have great water. I do like a 50% WC every week on both and both are planted.

I am beginning to think there is some parasite in my main 30 gallon. I think it is at bay since I do a lot of changes, feed medicated (kens) food periodically and use salts but it just gets its claws into one fish and eats it away.

In my 30 now Ive lost my veiled ram who was sick for some time and never eating. It sucked watching him waste away as the only thing he would eat was frozen peas. When I would drop them in he would fight to the death over them.
Lost my very first cycle platy who I think was infected as his feces were always white, lost a couple gugeons but they are new so I chocked it up to just new fish dying. My last tetra who I actually took out cause he looked like he was starting ich but worst right now is my new'ish yoyo loach. MAN I LOVE this fish. Its just great fun to watch and was only about 2.5 months old.
I noticed him yesterday hiding under my log on his side. I didnt think much since he always lays on his side but when feeding time came he never popped out. I tapped him with my finger and he moved but something wasnt right so I checked my levels and nitrates sky rocketed.
They either peaked due to the parasite meds I used (prazipro then paraguard) or the fact the past few days I was struggling to keep some new dwarf baby tears planted and possibly stirred up some sub debre.

I IMMEDIATELY did a 50% WC and got my trates back in order but the poor yoyo is still laggy and sullen looking.

After the water change he pirked up for a minute and swam like normal but it didnt last long.

Meanwhile in my 5 gallon I lost a BB goby a while back so my GF convinced me to put another guppy in there with the male we had. Im CONVINCED that guppy brought something with it as not far along my old guppy got dropsy, and then the 2nd goby in the tank passed.
Now grab the arm of your chair..... my two puffers are fine..... yes there were 2 puffers, 2 gobies and a guppy in a 5 gallon nano style. Seems crowded but believe it or not I never have a WQ issue at all. Plus since the 2 puffers and bogies are very lazy fish there was never a crowding issue. They all came out to feed then went to their spots to swim.

We put a betta in the 5 to have something to look at s I love the puffers but she hates them. The 3 are doing fine. I dont think a parasite killed them as it was just way to fast or coincidental bad luck.

this is aggrevating as I look at my poor yoyo because Im super meticulous with my tanks cleanliness and health. Granted I dont have the knowledge most do on parasite and sicknesses but with the internet you can get most info to start. Aside the ram who stopped eating no other fish display any issues. The last night the platy died he did but I removed him into a small QT container so others wouldnt eat up a sick body.

I have gone through 4 gugeons now. 1 died over the first night, another disappeared. A dead fish in a planted tank is very hard to find and 2 more who seem to have taken fine but are not very out and about even during feeding time.

Just venting really.

OH and on top of that Im having plant issues.
some of my plants went through this amazing super growth and then just died away. Half my banana plant died, but is growing back, my amazon sword's middle looks like its been eaten away, my java fern melted, my anubis is now just covered with BB algae so I have to get in and snip the bad leaves off and a bunch of micro sword I put in seems like the roots just fell off and let go of the blades. C MON MAN!

This hobby can indeed be challenging, which in itself makes it all the more rewarding too.

Let's try to help your plants:

Lighting? Tank Size? Photoperiod? Any ferts/root tabs or liquid carbon supplementation? Have you tested your water parameters recently?

This hobby can indeed be challenging, which in itself makes it all the more rewarding too.

Let's try to help your plants:

Lighting? Tank Size? Photoperiod? Any ferts/root tabs or liquid carbon supplementation? Have you tested your water parameters recently?

the plants are bouncing back. I put it up to switching from flourish tabs to DIY. They spiked the growth (but luckily not the water levels) then they just pooped out. The tiger lilly and banana actually finally grew pads on the suface. I think the light that close is to much for that tho. Possibly what happened with my sword as well. The center grew to close to the light. My java fern I dunno but people suggested it was over lighting since at the time I was trying alternating my light from the back to the front of the tank. This prob caused the growth on my anubis as well.

my photoperiod is roughtly 6 hours a day from 4pm to 10 on a timer
DIY root tabs (got the mix from here) I use both DIY co2 and excel but am waiting on 2 tanks to switch to pressurized in the next few weeks (have the regulator and solenoid). I also use flourish comprehensive ever couple day. I was stearing clear of using the excel and comprehensive during the treatments tho. I did actually put a TINY bit of the excel in yesterday during my lunch so Im hoping that didnt bug out the yoyo.

my lighting is a fluval plant led and works GREAT.

Things were going so great for so long I started my 55 gallon dirt/sand to replace the 30

Back
Top Bottom