Ever sucked a fish up while doing a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well the other day I was doing a water change in my 10gall and I somehow sucked my bolivian ram up! if I sucked up a neon I would have understood but the bolivian is the biggest in the whole tank!
anyone else do this?

When I used to work retail, I sucked up quite a few fish. Mainly feeder fish, but a few others. It's not fun! I also killed a few this way... Never any of my own though, they are too fat to even think about fitting in the tube of my gravel vac. lol

Devilishturtles said:
When I used to work retail, I sucked up quite a few fish. Mainly feeder fish, but a few others. It's not fun! I also killed a few this way... Never any of my own though, they are too fat to even think about fitting in the tube of my gravel vac. lol
lol, I diddnt think I could either, but up went my queen! lol

I nabbed a Neon for the first time the day before yesterday. They were doing so well staying on the opposite side of the tank, I guess maybe they all crammed into the clay pot and felt they couldn't flee. Either that, or they couldn't be bothered to move. I looked and thought 'wow not as afraid as they used to be... why aren't they mov-crap!' I have the tiniest gravel Vac I could find (takes forever to do lol), so I looked down the barrel and there it was, pressed up against the back of it. So I submerged it... and had all the neons back together again. I don't know which one it was, they all looked ok.

Good thing I guess... my siphon goes straight into the toilet.

My wife laughs at me as I sit there with my finger on the valve ready to shut it off when somebody gets too close. What is it with these fish that draws them to the suction tube like a moth to a flame. But go in there to try and place food by a specific fish and they all run like their life depends on it... I guess that is why it's US keeping THEM in a box and not the other way around.

all the time. Most recent was an austrailian rainbowfish. We have sucked up an angelfish before (juvi, only about 2 inches).

My cories seem to like to swim under the siphon when I gravel vac. I've almost sucked up one or two of them before.

i take out all the caves and plants floating around in my tank, so my BGK is always looking for something he can hide in. he'll follow the gravel vac, and attempt to get in, though he hasn't succeeded yet

I have sucked up small fish and one fancy goldfish. Never had a death, always have my hand on the shut off of the python. The horseface loach ran up the python today. Scared the heck out of me!

This is not a reassuring thread--sucking up a fish is one of my big fears seeing as absolutely nothing in my tank is even remotely afraid of the siphon...I've been trying to reassure myself that I was being silly and it was unlikely to happen... Guess I'll stick to being paranoid about it!

My fish like to swim inside of the big part of the tube. Today I had two Serpae's playing in the tube. Last week we had an African trying to fit inside of it. I've never sucked one into the smaller tube though.

I sucked up a betta I had in a29 gallon once, she loved it lol ever since then she would try and get under the gravel siphon lol

Yup last Friday. Gar freaked out got sucked in. He didn't make it, now I have one left, really sucks.

Back
Top Bottom