ever wonder how big that cute lil knifefish will get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
clownknifefish.jpg

92_3.jpg

wow I almost bought one of those acouple weeks ago not realizing they got that bigm I knewthey got somewhat big but I thoguth like only 8 inches or so lol glad I saw this post lol

Are those BGK's? I thought those were spotted... The black is all black with a white stripe, no? Well whatever they are, look at this one.

Attachments

• untitled-1_copy_938.jpg
    untitled-1_copy_938.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 37
Sicklid said:
Are those BGK's? I thought those were spotted... The black is all black with a white stripe, no? Well whatever they are, look at this one.

Holy crap! That's huge.

I've seen a 20" one and that thing was massive. Pretty cute until they get that big. Then they just look freaky.

It'd be cool to have a couple of those in a pond. Just toss a chicken in every so often.

Burks said:
I've seen a 20" one and that thing was massive. Pretty cute until they get that big. Then they just look freaky.

It'd be cool to have a couple of those in a pond. Just toss a chicken in every so often.

ROFL!

The clown knife can reach 48", and the giant featherback can hit 50"....big fish indeed....I have seen several tank-raised clowns that were 30"-42" long....and they grow from 4" to 20" pretty fast with good water conditions and adequate food.

So what size tank is adequate? I have a 3inch one in my cichlid tank now..about 60 gallons...I know it won't be big enough for full grown..but im going to add another tank down the road..and I got a 30 hex to move fish into within a week

Sicklid said:

this is a BGK:

JTAM963 said:
WOW thats huge..well ill never get a tank like that..maybe 150 tops

Impossible to make large enough, no matter what dimensions you go with, I am afraid....even a 36"-40" fish would be cramped in a 6' x 3' x 18" tank (200g)...you would really need about 8' x 4' x 2' (475g).

Toirtis said:
JTAM963 said:
WOW thats huge..well ill never get a tank like that..maybe 150 tops

Impossible to make large enough, no matter what dimensions you go with, I am afraid....even a 36"-40" fish would be cramped in a 6' x 3' x 18" tank (200g)...you would really need about 8' x 4' x 2' (475g).

seeing that biggest one, i'd consider the zoo, or a pond. though JTAM i doubt it will peak at 48" in an aquarium.

if it brings you any comfort, BGKs, fish that peak at 24" in the wild, max out at 12" and sometimes (though i've never seen it") 18" in aquariums, so i suppose you can estimate around how big your knife will max at

Back
Top Bottom