Explain power heads ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
This super enthusiastic fish section Petsmart manager (who had the humility and smarts to refer me to the local LFS) talked me into a power head instead of a bubbler for aeration. He said the little fish I'm looking at (danios, cories) are river fish and would love the current. They'd have fun and get stronger from swimming with it. Sounded good so I got an Aquaclear model rated for up to 30 gallons. 175 gph.

My 29 gallon already has a filter that runs 200gph and as I read more I'm seeing these fish supposedly prefer very little current.

My current stocking idea is ...
zebra danios
Dwarf cories
Dwarf pencilfish
German blue ram (eventually)

I've seen how differently my betta behaves once he has a gentler current from his new filter, so "oh they'll be fine but they don't prefer it" makes me wonder.

No live plants just now.

I have a Marineland maxi jet pro 600 in my 55g and I love it. I have it set on a timer to run for an hour about every four hours and it does a wonderful job at kicking up the bottom so that my substrate stays cleaner. My fish were hesitant at first but know they actually seem to look forward to their time on the treadmill so to speak :)

Those pencils and rams may not like the current much. But a small one will help 100 x more with oxygen than a bubbler.

Back
Top Bottom