Extremely high levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tests are still showing incredibly high.what do I do? They still haven't moved or changed

Your tank is obviously cycling which you can't rush. All you can do is keep up on WC's.

I seem to think this is 2ppm, so does 3 other members of my family... Your opinions?

I'd say it's at least 2ppm is not higher. Those charts suck to try to color match.

I'd say it's at least 2ppm is not higher. Those charts suck to try to color match.

You're telling me! So that means it's gone down a tad! I'm getting ammonia REMOVER this time not ammo LOCK. Rung up the fish shop today. They said stop feeding completely and keep doing 10-25% water changes daily. Get as much oxygen as you can flowing around the tank. They said I might of killed the BB by doing a 75% water change. So I'm dozing high amounts of nutrafin cycle to try and get levels secure. I just hope this will happen in enough time for the apisto's! Does this info they gave me sound correct?

I brought some almond leaf extract today, shall I put it in or will It stall the cycle?

Very little if any BB is found in the water. It's mainly all in the filter where it gets a good oxygen flow and some in the substrate. A 75% WC will not remove your BB. Been keeping tanks since the 70's so have a lot of practical experience.

Your tank is obviously cycling and sorry but in no way should you add apisto's.

Thanks for the info here! My tap water is 0 nitrates and nitrites. I use stress coat for chlorine. I think my tank is trying to cycle. How do I know if it is cycling, or something else wrong?

I recently joined this forum a few weeks ago when my own 20 gal started cycling and i started losing fish. I did 50-70% water changes daily for five days using stress coat full 20 gal dosage and jump start (suposedly a BB culture) full 20 gal dosage. I added an extra hang on back (HOB) filter for extra media surface area. My tank temp kept around 82 and pH was always higher than 7.4. Large air pump running through 2 small stones and one 6 inch stone for oxygenation. My tank cycled in 6 days and has had 0 amonia and 0 nitrites for about a week now. I also have several live plants so nitrites are anoit 20ppm. Knock on wood no losses in the last week and a half, not even a platty fry.

Sorry it got long winded, try using jump start and good luck! Don't add any new fish until your levels are stable for a week or so.

Very little if any BB is found in the water. It's mainly all in the filter where it gets a good oxygen flow and some in the substrate. A 75% WC will not remove your BB. Been keeping tanks since the 70's so have a lot of practical experience.

Your tank is obviously cycling and sorry but in no way should you add apisto's.

Lol I wasn't gonna add them until a few months time

No I meant that I was worried because they could come in the space of two to three weeks. Then I was panicking if the LFS couldn't hold onto them until my levels had gotten better, turns out they can :)

Well, after adding some ammonia remover, my levels have gone down to 0.25 ammonia, and 0.25/0.5 nitrite!! That's amazing...

Back
Top Bottom