F8 Puffer and Guppy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a Figure 8 Puffer eat Guppy fry?

I have my puffer in a 10 gallon tank right now (I'm saving up to get a 20 gallon so he has the proper sized home) and I feed him mostly freeze dried bloodworms, dahpnia, and tiny shrimp along with a pond snail or two a week. I want him to hunt around though to help decrease boredom so I'm looking for something to put in the 10 gallon once I get the 20 for him. It seems like a male and one or two female guppies could work and reproduce easily. I'd keep their tank FW then when I feed the fry to my puffer I'd acclimate the few he'll get over a half hour or so.

Is this a good plan? Yes, no?

Is there an easier source of live food to breed that the F8 can hunt? (besides pond snails, I already have those)

He may eat it, but he doesn't need live food. BTW, is he in brackish water? If not, he needs to be slowly acclimated into it. Also, he should really be in a 30 gallon, but I guess a 20 long would suffice.

He may eat it, but he doesn't need live food. BTW, is he in brackish water? If not, he needs to be slowly acclimated into it. Also, he should really be in a 30 gallon, but I guess a 20 long would suffice.

Yeah, he's in brackish (I let it vary between 1.004 an 1.007) and as for the tank size I've heard 15, 20, and 30 gallons. I don't have room for anything larger and it's only him in his tank so I figured 20 would be fine. I know he doesn't NEED live food, but I like to watch him hunt (I've given him some brine shrimp before) and it keeps him busy for a little while. I was wanting to put something in the 10 gallon tank anyway so I figured why not get something that can help him out too.

Here's the tank he has for now. When I get him the larger one I'll try out a Java Fern too so he has a live plant. Most of the decor will be moved over and added to. When I have the money I need I'll decide what stays in the 10 and what is moved to the 20.

Attachments

• 600455_10200691619626822_1967934172_n.jpg
    600455_10200691619626822_1967934172_n.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 137
You could have short finned mollies to act as dither or target fish so the puffer can stay active and the fish shouldn't get hurt. Both species are also brackish water so there should be no problem.

You could have short finned mollies to act as dither or target fish so the puffer can stay active and the fish shouldn't get hurt. Both species are also brackish water so there should be no problem.

I don't want the other fish to get stressed to death

I either want a single fish in a tank or a peaceful community tank

I tried mollies and he just chased them constantly

Your best option is to keep the puffer alone. If he is placid, you could consider adding a bumblebee goby.

Your best option is to keep the puffer alone. If he is placid, you could consider adding a bumblebee goby.

I was going to keep him alone

the guppies would be in a separate tank

Back
Top Bottom