Fake Anemone - Good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I've moved my anemone into a better thank with proper lighting and now my clowns are without a home. I was thinking of getting them one of those fake anemones so that they have somewhere to "call home" at night, as they are just sort of drifting about in the evenings when I come out to take a peek.

I will hopefully have better lighting by Christmas, but I still would like to give them something in the interum.

What's the general consensus on using fake anemones for clowns to call home?

My problem with them are they are plastic and could possibly injur the fish if they move around in them quickly.

Ditto. I don't think they are a good idea. The way clowns dive in and out of them can't be good for their slime coating, if they rub againt rubbery plastic all the time.

Also, clowfish host in anemones for the symbiosis. The anemone eats off of the clown, the clown finds shelter, etc. Likely, they wouldn't be interested in the fake anemone at all.

Devilishturtles said:
Ditto. I don't think they are a good idea. The way clowns dive in and out of them can't be good for their slime coating, if they rub againt rubbery plastic all the time.

Also, clowfish host in anemones for the symbiosis. The anemone eats off of the clown, the clown finds shelter, etc. Likely, they wouldn't be interested in the fake anemone at all.
I disagree. You may have a point on rubbing off the slime coating, but the clowns will likely find something artificial to host in soon. Anything they think they can hide behind/in will do. Some clowns have even hosted powerheads and other filtration equiptment in the absense of something more natural. A fake log, a piece of PVC pipe, anything will do.

Hmm....

When I first got my clowns they found the out tubing a nice place to call home, but then quickly began to host the real anemone I put in there. I guess I would have to feel each of the fake anemones and see how harsh they are, but I'm still cautious about the health of the fish by the constant interaction.

Perhaps something like a sunken ship with hiding places inside it might work.

Have either of you tried to use a fake one? What success did you have?

I have found that my tomato clown will deliberately shake himself a hole into the substate about an hour before i turn the lights off. Then in the middle of the night i will see him lying down in that hole. The first couple times i thought is he alive? HEHEHE. I guess my point is fish know what they want and will make something work.

Mine host in a brain coral. My Ocellaris used to host in finger leather, so I would not rush to put anything 'fake' in the tank. Give them a few weeks and see what they like. Theres no promise they will even bat an eye at your fake invert..

GL!

When my anemone took a wrong turn (it ended up dying, I think it was doomed from the lfs) my clowns were find aftewards with nothing to host in. And they spent ALL day in the anemone. No stress, no harm, and no hosting of some macroalgae in my tank either. A clown is fine with no anemone. They can even breed with no anemone. It's a symbiosis thing. This has been my experience anyways. I wouldn't waste your money on a fake anemone. Besides from looking tacky (Just my opinion :wink: ) they aren't cheap either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom