Familiar with danio 2litre school project?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
Towards the end of my parent/teacher conference today, I couldn't help but notice out of the corner of my eye some rows of 2 litre bottles filled with what appeared to be anacharis and duckweed. As we wrapped up our meeting, I inquired about the project in the corner with the aquatic plants. As I got closer, to my great dismay, I could see it wasn't only anacharis in those bottles...also up to three zebra danios and two nerite snails. The 2 litres have their necks cut off, and then another 2 litre which is a planter is inverted onto the other. It's looks as though some water drips through the soil, when you water the plants on top, and comes down into the "aquarium". The water the fish/snails are in is never changed, and they are never fed. The teacher explained to me how this is a self sustaining eco system. I said I didn't think this was possible, that the bottle couldn't possibly create enough natural foods like infusoria to sustain the danios long term. I also added that they are schooling fish that should really be in a tank about 30" long or so. I guess they've been doing this for years and he told me that one student reported their danios lived for many years after they took them home.

So folks, I'm pretty much horrified. :( I wonder if anyone else has seen this in the schools?

That's terrible! And no when I was in school we kept everything in a 40 gal tank it's a shame to see that liter bottles could be appropriate -.-
While on the subject of zebra danios I have a question one of my tanks leaked a few months back one zebra survived and it is now in a new tank I bought 5 neon tetras today and he is acting a bit aggressive I know their both schooling fish so should I buy more zebras and hope that both coexist well or give the zebra danio away and keep just tetras?

That's so sad:( I've heard of people using betas but not danios. Regardless that still sucks. If I saw this at my school, I would run in, grab it and run out after school. Then donate them to my LFS lol:)

That's terrible! And no when I was in school we kept everything in a 40 gal tank it's a shame to see that liter bottles could be appropriate -.-
While on the subject of zebra danios I have a question one of my tanks leaked a few months back one zebra survived and it is now in a new tank I bought 5 neon tetras today and he is acting a bit aggressive I know their both schooling fish so should I buy more zebras and hope that both coexist well or give the zebra danio away and keep just tetras?
If the tank is large enough for both schools that would certainly be fine, they school in different regions of the tank so keeping them together can give a nice affect w/o a cluttered look. If the tank isn't large enough for two schools or you just kinda feel done with keeping the zebras, you could give it away.

That's so sad:( I've heard of people using betas but not danios. Regardless that still sucks. If I saw this at my school, I would run in, grab it and run out after school. Then donate them to my LFS lol:)
Yes, I was hoping I could offer to take the fish, because I was actually kind of in shock and it just wasn't computing that this is their permanent home, but then it became all to clear.. :banghead:

10 gal is much too small for danios IMO. I would suggest tanks atleast 30" long for them. I'd get rid of the danio and stick with fish better suited to the tank.

Yeah guess I'm gonna keep the tetras but would a store like petco or petsmart accept the zebra? It's been such a tough guy being the only survivor from the leak

Most cories really don't work in a 10. Only the dwarfs like pygmaeus, hastatus, and habrosus.

I'd get one more neon to fill out the school.

A betta should make a nice centerpiece fish, but do be cautious and have a back-up plan since not all bettas are community friendly. A dwarf gourami would be another option.

Hmm, maybe you should start your own stocking thread? lol

Yes their all dwarf spotted corys and the dwarf Gourami definitely sounds interesting I'll do some research I have a lot more experience with bettas
And I'm new here I don't know how to start a stocking thread

You don't have to, but if you have more questions about stocking your tank, you can go to forums: freshwater: general discussion, click new thread, and ask away. :)

Back
Top Bottom