Family member bought my son a goldfish. New Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_KidAndHisFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.

My sister-in-law showed up at Easter dinner with a telescope goldfish in a small bowl for my 2.5 year old son that he instantly fell in love with.

He wasn't faring well in the bowl, even with 50 percent water changes. I came home from work one afternoon to find him gasping at the top of the bowl.

I don't have room for a large aquarium, but I knew I needed to improve "Nemo's" situation, so I went and got a 1.5 gallon aquarium with a pump and filter unit and some chlorine remover liquid.

He's about 1 inch long, btw. I had no idea about cycling a tank, but I couldn't afford to leave him in the bowl so I had to put him in the aquarium straight away to save his life.

The change in his behavior from the bowl to the small tank was amazing.

I know this tank is way too small, so I don't need reminded of that. This is what will have to do for now until I am able to figure something else out.

He has been in there a few days and I performed a 50 percent water change today to try to keep ammonia levels as low as possible.

What else can I do to maximize his lifespan until better living arrangements can be made?:thanks:

Daily water changes in a tank that small wouldn't be to bad and would definitely improve conditions. Since you've learned about the nitrogen cycle you probably know you should get a test kit to check the water if keeping fish. But if you change 50% of the water each day and dose with seachem Prime (which will condition the water and detoxifies ammonia) you should be able to get along OK in the short term.

I don't understand why people gift living animals, especially without talking with the people who will be caring for them.

Thanks for coming and asking questions.

Keep feeding light. Enjoy him while you can.

I also have a question about Goldfish care.
I have no idea how to properly set up a Goldfish tank.
This is going to be a tank for an 11 y/o. (mom says OK). It's her birthday present.
Is it the same as any other freshwater tank?
Should I get her 1 gold fish or more?
What is the smallest tank I can get and yet properly care for the fish?
I'm thinking a 10 gallon kit would be a good start for her.

I also have a question about Goldfish care.
I have no idea how to properly set up a Goldfish tank.
This is going to be a tank for an 11 y/o. (mom says OK). It's her birthday present.
Is it the same as any other freshwater tank?
Should I get her 1 gold fish or more?
What is the smallest tank I can get and yet properly care for the fish?
I'm thinking a 10 gallon kit would be a good start for her.

Minimum tank size for one fancy goldfish (not quite as big as common goldfish) I'd say is 30 gallons, however they are pretty social and live 15 years with good care so you should consider more than one, meaning bigger tank! There is a good article about it here
http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/
If you really want to give a fish as a gift I would suggest a single betta, in which case the 10 gallon kit would be perfect. (Honestly I still wouldn't recommend it as either the child or the parent will have to commit to regular water changes and you'll have to figure out a way to have it cycled before gifting but it's up to you. My sympathies to original poster!)

Taking care of it won't be a problem they live with me. But since my daughter said Goldfish I thought I had better do my research now before the kids birthday in July.

Nemo's living situation will improve to a 20 gallon tank! (Same width and depth as a 10, but taller. I found that I had just enough space in the back room to put a decent sized tank in.

It is currently cycling and I will continue to be dilligent with water changes in his current little home. Tested the water today in his little 1.5 tank and it's PERFECT. So, he should do just fine while his new tank cycles.

It already has all the decor, a large stone bubbling strip. My son's favorite part is the little Spongebob Squarepants we found at Petco.

Back
Top Bottom