Fancy goldfish help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fancy goldfish, I have had about 7 months. Lately it has been resting a lot on the bottom of the tank near the filter.
So I did a water change and my levels are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate and 7.6 ph.
I have another fish a black moor and he is fine very active. They share a tank 50 litre which has an air bubbler and filter. I know this tank it too small I have a 90 one cycling at the moment. What could be wrong with it? She still eating well. Doesn't have swim bladder not floating on top and swimming well when it does swim. She did recently have a small injury to her tail but I have treated her for this with aquarium salt and frequent water changes. She's not gasping for air or anything. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404122120.736471.jpg pleas find attached photo of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The ammonia was 0 nitrate was between 20-30 nitrite 0 and PH 7.6 I did the change as I didn't want the nitrate to get higher.
Thanks for helping

Hi my water change is done weekly. They are fed pellets which are soaked before feeding, blood worms 1-2 times a week and skinned peas as a treat

The fish doesn't sit on the bottom all the time. Since I have posted this message she hasn't been on the bottom of the tank once.

When I notice her on the bottom I check the water parameters to see if everything is ok.

Not sure of the brand of pellets I think it's called nutrafin max

Healthy goldfish are quite active, but you will see them rest occasionally. In your first post you describe it as "bottom sitting a lot". If you're doing regular water changes, all the parameters are good, they're being properly fed and and you have ruled out parasites or other diseases, the one thing that's left is a tank that is far too small. 50 liters is only about 13 gallons and is just too confining.

Thank you for replying. Yes she used to bottom sit still does at times. I have a 90 tank cycling now it's been running for a few weeks not cycled yet. Thanks for you help she has been good today not bottom sitting and swimming very actively was just a bit worried when she started doing it.

You're most welcome, and I agree, it is worrisome when their behavior changes.

I hate to say it, but while the 90 liter tank is nearly twice the size of the tank your fish are in now, it's still too small for two fish. Be prepared to upgrade to an even larger tank as they will need it. Change at least 75% of the water every week. And be sure you have proper filtration - those little internal filters aren't up to the task.

Hi yes I will upgrade as they need it. I wasn't expecting the black moore to survive he came from a tank from neglect. Very healthy now the other fancy was a gift from a friend.
But yes I will for sure upgrade as they need it thanks again.
What size should I upgrade too when the time comes? I got told from a vet that the 90 litre would be fine for them :-( if I know it wasn't big enough I would have upgraded then.

A 50/55 gallon would be good. That's around 200 liters, I think. The more, the better.

Back
Top Bottom