Fancy Goldfish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was considering a couple of fancy goldfish for my 55-gallon tank, possibly along with some other tankmates.

Are there hardier fancy goldfish breeds? I'd assume the less extreme they look, the hardier they would be, but anyone with some insight please share. I personally like the wobble of their swimming, but not necessarily the bubble eyes or large caps so I was looking at Ryukins, Pearscales, or just fantails.

Since they don't swim well, would it be a problem to keep a school of white minnows in the tank? Would food competition be an issue?

How about Mystery Snails?

I know temperature-wise I'd be okay at 68-70F for all these guys, but how does temperament and food work? Any other tankmates that might be a good fit?

When people say goldfish are messy fish, are we talking physical debris or higher bioloads than a fish similar in size? Both?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I hate the bubble eyes! Ryukins are very pretty.

Mystery snails need at least 68° F, and they'll be pretty inactive at that temperature. Nerites would probably be better.

Fantails, black moores, and orandas tend be be the most hardy.
Ryukins are pretty good too, but they seem to be a little more prone to swim bladder issues than other varieties.
Pearlscales are generally considered one of the more sensitive varieties.

Goldfish poop a lot so therefore have more bio load and poop on the bottom of the tank.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with goldfish but I think the minnows are ok while the goldfish are small but when they get bigger they might become a snack

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom