Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawyer_Peyton18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am 14 and want to start a 55 gallon planted Goldfish Aquarium.can anyone give me some advice? How many and what about algae eaters

No plants. The goldfish will ruin it. For algae you could have a hillstream loach but you beed fast moving water.

Yes goldfish can eat plants but if you feed them a nice veggie based diet they will not mess with your plants. Your safe to have a max of 2 fancy goldfish in there and that's all. Plecos tend to attach themselves to goldfish and it's bad for the goldfish. You could do some snails

Yes goldfish can eat plants but if you feed them a nice veggie based diet they will not mess with your plants. Your safe to have a max of 2 fancy goldfish in there and that's all. Plecos tend to attach themselves to goldfish and it's bad for the goldfish. You could do some snails

That's basically what I said.

I thought plecos are incompatible?

I have a Ranchu (king of the goldfish breed) tank with lots of plants . Rarely do they mess with the plants unless I do not feed them for several days which I do from time to time . With Goldfish they create a lot of waste so water changes are a must twice a week depending on number of fish and tank size. As far as algea eaters go with the Ottos they are very peaceful and do a descent job. Do not get Chinese Algae eaters they will attach themselves to your gold fish and mess with their natural slime coat.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 75
Ok thanks for the help. I am going to go lightly planted with 3 fancy goldfish and 3-4 Ottos. I will make sure I feed them well enough.

Yes that should be good. Keep water temperature 78 for the ottos. Of course the goldfish can handle colder temps but not Ottos. Someday move up to Ranchus they are awesome looking. Pricey but Awesome must order online can't find at fish stores in general.

I was looking on petsmart and it said they could live in 72 degree water. If not. What othher algae eaters could what is the fish you mentioned

Just a note of caution with Otos and goldfish. It goes without saying that any fish should be removed promptly if it dies. Very true for Otos because they, like other catfish, have backwards pointing spines along the pectoral, dorsal, and other fins. If a goldfish attempts to swallow a dead oto, removal can be quite difficult. I ended up having to hold the goldfish (lion head) in one hand and use tweezers to remove the dead oto. It was similar to roving a fish hook.
For algae removal on the tank sides I prefer to use algae magnets.

Can I have around 10 Nerite Snails?

Nerites are the best algae eaters of any species of snail I have with my plants and goldies. If this tank has yet to be setup or established, I would wait a bit before adding them because assuring they have sufficient food will be a bit difficult with goldfish.

Also keep in mind that 'algae eaters' are not necessary in any tank despite what your lfs or others may tell you. Algae only becomes an issue from a tank imbalance- excess light periods, insufficient wcs, excess nutrients, lack of CO2 and/or too high of lighting are all common precursors to an algae problem. Please ask any questions! :)

This aquarium is not setup I am in the process of planning and researching. Even though algae eaters are not necessary I think it is cool to have something on the bottom. Since there will not be much algae what would I feed the Nerite snails and also can you give me a list of things to feed the goldfish.?

This aquarium is not setup I am in the process of planning and researching. Even though algae eaters are not necessary I think it is cool to have something on the bottom. Since there will not be much algae what would I feed the Nerite snails and also can you give me a list of things to feed the goldfish.dde04

I think you misunderstood what I said here. I meant 'setup or established' as in are you are newly setting up this tank or is this tank already established. I am glad you are doing your research and planning ahead to make this a success!

In respect to feeding the nerites, my suggestion is to wait a few months for the tank to mature and then start with five. Feeding them will be difficult with goldfish but you can seek further suggestions for nerite diets in our invertebrate section.

The best diets for fancies consist of a quality sinking pellet and/or gelfood, daily veggies, some fresh proteins and occasional fruits. Meals are best served in smaller portions and spread out through out the day as goldfish are grazers by nature and lack a 'true' stomach to store food. Please do not hesitate to ask questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom