Fast help needed!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoveboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
woke up this morning and turned on my tank lights to find my long spined urchin had my little yellow cowfish pinned down against the side of the tank. I pulled him off to find that he had taken a great chunk out of the back of the cow and the fish is still alive!!
What can I do?
Is it better to say goodbye to the cow or can he be saved?
btw he has hidden himself under a rock now, out of harms way.

Is it better to say goodbye to the cow or can he be saved?

It is possible that it can be saved, but regardless, the fish needs to be removed to a qt tank. The cowfish is a form of boxfish and boxfish can exude a toxin when under great stress that can nuke your tank. The fish should be observed for signs of infection and treated with antibiotic meds if necessary.

Oh....I am not completely certain the cowfish will have the toxin like the boxfish, but it's a safe bet. I'd look into it for you, but I'm running short on time right now. Run a google search of cowfish + toxin and see what you come up with, also look at www.wetwebmedia.com for any cowfish articles and related FAQs.

Thanks Kevin

Roger Wilco...

The little guy is in such a sorry state. Not sure if he is gonna survive the move :cry:

Yellow Cowfish

Hi,

8O When the fish is stressed out it will release toxins into your tank! You can try to cure it with Melaxfix a antibacterial remedy for fresh and saltwater fishes. This product work out for me for many of my fishes. It rapidly repairs damaged fins and open wounds. Read the instructions carefully. If your fish eats and he swims you have a good chance to save it. If your fish looks like he is not going to make it, my advise is to remove him from the tank. This will help your tank from developing a high amount of toxins in your tank. Good Luck!

I had a long spine, when I got home from work 1 day he totally ate a brain coral right to the bone (Disk). Not a speck of green left on it, needless to say he is back at the LFS. I hope your cow fish pull through, That is such a cool fish.....Good Luck!

Kaye

Sadly, despite our best efforts, the little guy didn't make it :cry:
Post mortem, he had a 1/4" hole in his back just above the tail and it was right into the bone.

Thanks for all your advice and kind words.

The urchin has now gone back to the lfs and I have another cow on order :D

Back
Top Bottom