Favorite Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am working on stocking a 40 gallon planted tank, and need some ideas. I like the cherry barb, but have seen many others that I like. Any recommendations?

Black Ruby Barbs and Checkerboard Barbs are up there for me. But all time favorite Barb would have to be Odessa Barbs. The males are just crazy pretty.

I am working on stocking a 40 gallon planted tank, and need some ideas. I like the cherry barb, but have seen many others that I like. Any recommendations?

Denison Barbs .. Hands down!! A bit pricey and 40gal may be a bit too small for adults ... But for juveniles a 40gal will work.

Now ... In my tank my #1 favorite are my two Green Tiger Barbs ... Can't really say why .... my Denisons #2. But in LFS's it the Denisons I enjoy looking at

Agh fogot about Denison! My friend has 3 in a 127 litre wall mounted tank. They're amazing!

If you want the males to be nice and red have one male and three or so females.

bettaowner said:
If you want the males to be nice and red have one male and three or so females.

Sadly I think 40 is a little small for them, unless it's a 40 long. Then perhaps.

I agree, a 40 long could house three females. If it's not a 40 long, some butterfly barbs would be nice.

bettaowner said:
I agree, a 40 long could house three females. If it's not a 40 long, some butterfly barbs would be nice.

Its a 40 tall, so no cherry barbs? Gold barbs?

Gold barbs would work. If you want lots of fish jae barbs are small so you can have more.

40galreef said:
Its a 40 tall, so no cherry barbs? Gold barbs?

40 tall is fine for Cherry or Gold. Roseline Sharks (Puntius Denisonii) get larger, are very active, and like to school. They are truly beautiful but need them some space :)

Roseline sharks need a tank at least 100 gallons. They are active and prefer to be kept in groups of 6.

40 tall is fine for Cherry or Gold. Roseline Sharks (Puntius Denisonii) get larger, are very active, and like to school. They are truly beautiful but need them some space :)

A 40breeder will work for Denison barbs For a year or two... It takes a few years for them to reach full size.
However, They are one of the few barbs you can keep in small schools, or even solitarily... But look much more Impressive in 5+.

So a 40 gallon tall is at least adequate for all the barbs that have been mentioned?

So a 40 gallon tall is at least adequate for all the barbs that have been mentioned?

For the barbs mentioned so far yes a 40 tall works ... Though for Denison barbs, a 40breeder is better. Once they get to 3 inches long, you need to look at 55gal and up ... They are capable of astonishing speeds ... So horizontal swimming space is more crucial than vertical.

Still you can enjoy them as juveniles (1.5 inches) for a year ... Gold barbs are a good choice ... Really nice colors!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom