feather dusters throwing crowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorian965

Aquarium Advice Freak
man, every time i get a feather duster they throw there crown within 2 weeks of being in the tank.this makes three now that have done this. i was thinking that it must either by bad placement or the stress of getting them to stay in the right spot. the first 2 lived but this third one im not so sure of. hes hanging out of his tube and letting me touch him with the scraper and not trying to get away. he just threw it today so maybe hes just slow. the lights were also off so maybe that has something to do with it. this really blows. :x

Is there anything in your tank that could be harassing them? Fish or inverts wise?

It is a sign of stress. I have never had one do it though and I would think being shipped across the country in a box would be stressful. Have you checked water parameters? How are you acclimating?

my sg got a little high, 1.027. i think that and the stress from trying to get them in a place that i wanted caused this, altough it seems to happen about a week or so after being in the tank. the first 2 threw there crown then regrew and are doing fine. the one in the picture died this morning.
water, other than sg is ok. nitrate at about 20 ppm.im slowly getting the sg back down.

You have never medicated your tank with anything have you? Nitrates are high. 1.027 salinity is not bad and probably not the cause.

no meds. and ive havent had a problem with anything but the large feathers. my small ones do fine. possibly crabs. ive had to start feeding the tank more due to the crabs hunger for meat. they are eating my snails. they have stoped eating hair algae, the large ones anyway.
phosphate is high also but i plan on solving this with the new ro/di unit when it gets here.

ive had to start feeding the tank more due to the crabs hunger for meat. they are eating my snails.

If your hermits are eating your snails, then there is a pretty good chance that they're bothering your worms too, although that wouldn't explain why your smaller worms are fine. I mention this because I had problems with my blue-leg hermits constantly harassing my feather duster worms. Finally, I decided to go crabless and my tank has been much more peaceful ever since. I now have snails only in my clean-up crew.

Brenden's right, 1.027 is not that high, however you may not have been acclimating them slowly enough to it.

Those are the only two things that I can think of. HTH.

Prolly something to do with your water or somethiing little.

Sometimes they shed they're crown when they have babies so they wont accidentally eat them but in this case thats a definite no....

The only other thing they usually do that for is when they're under a lot of stress

do you have any shrimp in with them?

i have 1 peppermint shrimp but ive never seen heim on that side of the tank. im thinking stress also. thanks for all the help. i think ill just wait on adding any more. i hate to have anything die. i even fell bad about killing the stupid aiptasia.well............. naw, i hate those guys. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom