Feeding Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a Bubble Anemone last Saturday. My parameters are where they should be, Nitrate, Ammonia, and Nitrate at 0ppm, PH at 8.3 and Salinity is within the ideal range, and the anemone seems to be doing well. It moved to a post it seems to like more than where i placed it and now has stayed put for the last few days. I attempted to 3 days ago feed it mysis shrimp with a turkey baster, and none of the mysis seemed to stick to the tentacles if you will, and i didnt see the anemone eating anything the fish did. My clown just started batting around at the tentacles but i havnt ever seen it feed the anemone. I bought freeze dried krill in fear that the anemone is not eating as its been a week and after squeezing the air from the krill placed it within the anemones tentacles and the krill did not stick like the anemones do at the pet store. The krill just sat there untill either the fish grabbed it away or the krill just floated away from the anemone! What do i do to get this thing to eat? Why is it not grabbing anything? Any one had a similar experiance?

Well, nems shouldn't need to eat if you have the proper lighting, which is very strong lighting may i add. What size tank do you have, and what is the lighting you have over it?

Also, how old is your tank? Anemones should not be placed in any tanks that are under one year old. To keep it happy you need the least amount of water fluctuations possible, and very strong lighting depending on the size tank of course. Also as a keynote, when nems are happy, they do not move around at all. They find a place and stay put. So if you notice that your nem is moving to different places, even if it doesn't move for a couple days and then does, that can be a sign a stress.

The tank is 55G and is about a year old. The lighting is a total of 108 Watts. I shut the light off at night and turn it back on in the day for about 12 hours every day. I guess this makes since as to why its not eating then it its producing its own nececeties via the sunlight like other plants... Thanks for the post, very helpful!

when I had mine I did not feed it. They get all they need from the water column and lighting. Incidently your lighting is not enough. You`ll need to upgrade it.

I have 2 different anemone's in my tank, a long tentacle that i have had for almost 2 years and a sebae that i have had for about a year now. They don't require any feeding but i do feed mine every few days. I buy raw shrimp and thaw it out then use a spot feeder to place it in the anemone and they take hold and eat it everytime. I don't feed them very much, about half a shrimp each time. They have both grown so much and are very healthy. Even though they don't require feeding, it has just always been something i enjoy lol.

Back
Top Bottom