feeding Black Ghost Knife - they won't eat during the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was advised to feed the black ghost knife at night (with lights off).

But if I feed him when the other fish are sleeping, then how do i know if all the food gets eaten and won't stale the water.

I feed a few fish at lights out. I worried about this when I first started to do it and I worried that my catfish never ate as well.

The food does disappear. Just make sure to start with small amounts. You will learn if you need to bump up the feeding or not. I use to worry the fish wouldn't find the food in the dark too in the tank. lol

They find it with out a problem even if it falls in a plant or something. I do feed in the same spot every night as well.

Good luck!

courtnee said:
I use to worry the fish wouldn't find the food in the dark too in the tank. lol
'

that's what i am afraid of.
Then it will stale the water or cause an ammonia spike or something.

Question
when you feed them in the dark - do you feed them floating food or sinking food?
does it matter?

I only feed sinking food because my pims and pleco dont come to the surface that I see. They find the stuff on the bottom no problem.

Honestly, if your tanks is large enough for a BGK, and you have good enough filtration for a tank that size, and aren't dumping in half a can of flake food, you are going to be ok. What size tank do you have, what kind of filtration, and what are the BGK tank mates? how old is the BGK? How long have you had the tank? What kind of substrate? What are you feeding and how much? How often are you changing water? nh3-4? no2? no3?

Answer those q's and likely you will find you are ok.

My 8 in BGK ate a pinch of frozen mysis or flake at night alone, in a 55 gal, with a canister filter after a year of seasoning the tank. Never a problem. The catfish and others cleaned up in the AM, and the bio filter and H2O changes took care of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom