Feeding sw fish fw ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use to feed them to my eel once in a while. Fresh water feeders aren’t the greatest for saltwater fish. I believe it can cause problems if continued over time.

I wasn't planning on feeding them for along time. I was wondering, since we had some extra I figured I would entertain my puffer with some live food.

It turned out really well actually. My puffer really enjoyed it, the shrimp didn't even hit the bottom before he got them.

Hinds04 said:
I use to feed them to my eel once in a while. Fresh water feeders aren’t the greatest for saltwater fish. I believe it can cause problems if continued over time.

Fw feeders are fine for sw fish as long as they given as a sort of treat for them. Feeder shrimp do not have enough nutrients for the fish to eat as their primary food source. From what I was told, sw feeder shrimp are basically fw feeders that have adapted to sw. Don't know how true that is though.
I feed my predatory tank sw ghost or grass shrimp once a week just for a treat. They tear em up.
An interesting side note: fw feeder shrimp are much slower in a sw tank. Try putting sw feeder shrimp in there and see how fast they are.....lol. pretty cool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom