Female Betta Woes . . . Bloody fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday evening I went to feed my fish, I didn't see one of my female Bettas come up for food. I know where she usually hangs out so I started snooping around in that area & she finally came out. I noticed one of her pectoral(?) fins wasn't moving & was red which is not its normal color. I removed her from the 46g tank, put her into a 5g by herself & added some Kanaplex to the water. I'm not seeing an actual wound, none of the others in the 46g have any signs or symptoms of illness. I did a 50% water change last Saturday, I didn't test the water last night, but the last test I did ammonia/nitrites were 0, nitrates ~20. I will test tonight when I get home from work to make sure nothing has changed. Is there anything I should be doing differently to treat her?

These pics are from this morning, last night the whole fin was red.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 80
it may be wounded if another fish went after her. Or could she have gotten sucked into a strong filter intake? Does she always have such a rounded belly? Was she just fed or pregnant or anything?

There's no telling what this silly fish did, it seemed weird that it was her fin & I can't see any wound on her body. I was glad to see it not so bloody this morning but she didn't want to move much, I'm hoping with some rest away from the other females she'll heal up.

As for her belly, my understanding is that female Bettas can look bloated when eggy. I have had her since last Aug. I believ & she has had that rounded look since Oct/Nov. She eats well & has always been really active so I hadn't worried about it.

Okay I've never kept a female. The only random idea I can think of is internal bleeding due to parasites. It's a stretch really

Are the little reddish patches on her cheek usually there? Perhaps a Gill infection. Don't hook worms enter through the gills? Not sure on that

Well I got home from work & the fin is now completely gone & her anal fin is 1/2 red. I'm getting ready to test the 46g tanks water to see if something's off but I'm at a loss here. Whatever she's got is progressing incredibly fast.

Wow that's so scary. I would look up bleeding disorders and red fins.

It's unusual, treat soon. I have more experience treating parasites than fin issues, which have been limited to a few tail biting episodes, red rimmed wounds and long ago burned finnage.

He is a trooper. How does the sick fishes poop look like?

Wow that's so scary. I would look up bleeding disorders and red fins.

It's unusual, treat soon. I have more experience treating parasites than fin issues, which have been limited to a few tail biting episodes, red rimmed wounds and long ago burned finnage.

He is a trooper. How does the sick fishes poop look like?

Her poo appears fine, but she hasn't eaten for a day or two now. She's pretty leathargic & last night she spazzed out for some reason for a few seconds. It appears to be septicemia which is not a good thing. I tested the water for the 46g tank & everything was perfect; 0 ammonia/nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. Right now she is in water with Kanaplex & I did add some aq salt. Tonight she'll get a water change & some more Kanaplex. So, keep my fingers crossed, say a little prayer & see what happens.

Well little Miss Sickly seems to be getting better daily. She's been more active & is using her little stumpy fin. She's still not eating great but hoping that's going to change. She still has some red in her anal fin but I'm not sure if its illness or not. She'll get a water change today & maybe some more Kanaplex, I've already done 3 doses so debating on whether or not to add it again.

Good luck! Shes a very pretty female!!! I'm looking around for a female, yours is adorable!

Oh what a shame, she looked beautiful. Sounds like u did everything u could for her tho.

Back
Top Bottom